Mocha Truffle Cookies are soft double chocolate cookies made with melted chocolate chips, cocoa powder and instant coffee. This is an easy small batch one bowl cookie recipe that doesn’t require an electric mixer.
One Bowl, No-Mixer, Mocha Truffle Cookies
- 4 tablespoons 56 grams unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 oz 44 grams semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee crystals
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 70 grams granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 75 grams dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 25 grams unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 cup 125 grams all purpose flour (weigh or spoon and gently sweep)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 3 oz of dark chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a microwave-safe bowl (heat on high and stir every 30 seconds). Add instant coffee and beat with a spoon.
- Beat in both sugars, then beat in the egg and vanilla (again with spoon, no mixer required). Add the baking powder and salt and mix with the spoon – make sure there are no clumps of baking powder. Add the cocoa powder and stir until it’s mixed in, then stir in the flour and the chips.
- Drop by tablespoons onto the cookie sheet and bake on center rack for about 10 minutes – don’t overbake. Overbaking these cookies ruins them. When you take them out of the oven they should be kind of shiny and appear slightly underbaked. Let them cool and set.
- Makes about 16 cookies (or so).