Here’s the second no-brainer cookie of the day. It’s a small batch version of an old favorite called Mocha Truffle Cookies – one of the easiest recipes in the world. Okay, maybe not that, but still easy and very good.
One Bowl, No-Mixer, Mocha Truffle Cookies
- 4 tablespoons 56 grams unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 oz 44 grams semisweet chocolate
- 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee crystals
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 70 grams granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons 75 grams dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 25 grams unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1 cup 125 grams all purpose flour (weigh or spoon and gently sweep)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 3 oz of dark chocolate chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter and chocolate together in a microwave-safe bowl (heat on high and stir every 30 seconds). Add instant coffee and beat with a spoon.
- Beat in both sugars, then beat in the egg and vanilla (again with spoon, no mixer required). Add the baking powder and salt and mix with the spoon – make sure there are no clumps of baking powder. Add the cocoa powder and stir until it’s mixed in, then stir in the flour and the chips.
- Drop by tablespoons onto the cookie sheet and bake on center rack for about 10 minutes – don’t overbake. Overbaking these cookies ruins them. When you take them out of the oven they should be kind of shiny and appear slightly underbaked. Let them cool and set.
- Makes about 16 cookies (or so).