Fuzz is home sick, so today’s recipe is made from things I had around the house – pecans, coconut and brown sugar. The “Dream Bars” recipe is one I adapted from a very old cookbook, and while the bars were tasty, they were on the thin side. Next time I make Dream Bars, I’ll probably use Kraft’s trusted back-of-the-box recipe below.
A bar cookie with a butter crust topped with brown sugar, coconut and pecans.
- 1 cup 140 grams flour all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup 50 grams firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup 75 grams softened salted butter**
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup 150 grams firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (35 grams flour
- 1/2 teaspoon 2 ml baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups about shredded sweetened coconut (angel flake)
- 1 teaspoon 5 ml vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 9 inch square metal pan.
- For the crust, combine 1 cup flour and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Add butter and mix until well blended. Press into pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- For the filling, beat eggs until thick and light in color. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup brown sugar and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy. Mix 1/4 cup flour with the baking powder. Fold into egg mixture. Mix in coconut, vanilla and nuts. Spread over baked crust in pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Mmm, these sound exactly like the name describes them: a coconut dream. How delicious! Hope these made Fuzz feel a bit better!
hope fuzz feels better soon! 🙂
This is my Mom’s favorite bar. It’s been too long since I made them.
The latest issue of Cook’s Country has a recipe for Dream Bars. When I read the title, I thought thats the one you made. Feel better Emma!!
Wishing Fuzz a quick, full recovery!!
lots of people home sick today…how weird
I am the only person in the house that loves coconut, so when I make these, I eat them all. But who cares, I burn it off by walking.
Sorry Fuzz is sick. Parker is home sick today, too. Sigh! The bars sounds good.
these look good! get well soon to Fuzz