Today’s cookies Mocha Mint Cookies were inspired by a bag of dark chocolate mints I found at Trader Joe’s – “Mint UFOs” to be precise. They must have been placed in the store by aliens because I never liked mints until I tried these and the only explanation is that I was abducted and implanted with a mint-appeal chip. If the aliens are observing (which they are) then they know the mint-appeal chip worked which means the other implants worked too. “Cookie Madness Phone Home! Cookie Madness Phone Home!”
Sorry. I’m feeling a little off today. But these cookies are really good! If you live near a Trader Joe’s watch out for unidentified flying objects and the UFO mints. This is what the packaged look like before I was overcome by a sudden urge to break into it.
If you can’t find UFO mints, use any other mint flavored dark chocolate. I did an Internet search and saw Endangered Species makes a mint dark chocolate and so does Green and Black’s. Mint chips would probably work too.
This recipe is adapted from one by Nancy Baggett, but she used white chocolate and a lot more espresso powder. If you absolutely hate mint and want to try the white chocolate version, just use that and up the espresso to a heaping tablespoon.
- 1 stick (4 oz) unsalted butter (115 grams)
- 5 oz (about 1 cup) Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips
- 2 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 heaping teaspoon espresso powder dissolved in a tablespoon of hot water
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons natural cocoa (I think Dutch might make the cookies flat)
- 6 oz mint flavored dark chocolate, chopped**
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a small saucepan. Add chocolate chips, remove from heat and stir until chocolate is melted with residual heat.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, beat the eggs, salt, vanilla and sugar together in a large bowl using an electric mixer for about 3 minutes or until light and slightly thickened. Beat in the espresso/water, followed by the melted chocolate chip butter mixture.
- Mix together the flour and the cocoa, then add to batter and stir until absorbed. Stir in the chopped mint chocolate. Chill for 1 ½ hours or until dough is thick enough to shape into balls
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper. Scoop dough up by well-rounded tablespoons and shape into 1 ½ inch balls. Bake for 9-12 minutes. Let cool. Dust with powdered sugar IF YOU FEEL LIKE IT. No need. I only did it for the photo.
- Not sure of the yield yet because I haven’t baked them all, but I think it will be around 16 18 cookies.