Super Simple Brownies are my Supernatural Brownies knock-off. Like Supernatural Brownies, a famous recipe by Nick Malgieri, Super Simple Brownies have a mixture of granulated and dark brown sugar. But unlike Supernaturals, these brownies call for a mix of semisweet and unsweetened chocolate rather than 100% bittersweet. I just didn’t have the right kind of chocolate to make the real deal, but these easy saucepan brownies were the perfect fill-in.
I made these brownies before heading out to a blogger conference, so I really didn’t need a lot and halved the original recipe. So these brownies are also different from Supernatural in that they are made in an 8 inch square pan. If you want to make the real deal and use a 9×13 inch pan, check the recipe on The Splendid Table.
Why Super Simple Brownies?
Back when I first made Super Simple Brownies, I was in love with Ruth Reichl’s Artpark Brownies from Tender at the Bone. So I think one reason “simple” came to mind for this recipe was that these brownies don’t require 10 minutes of whipping like the Artpark. If you’re in a brownie mood, check out the Artpark recipe too.
Super Simple Brownies
- 4 oz unsalted butter 114 grams
- 2 ounces 58% semisweet chocolate 56 grams
- 2 ounces 100% unsweetened chocolate 56 grams
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus a pinch
- 1/2 cup very well packed dark brown sugar 110 grams
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 96 grams
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 5 ml
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour 65 grams
- 3 tablespoons chopped pecans optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch metal baking pan with non-stick foil.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add the chocolate, reduce heat to low or turn off the heat and stir until chocolate melts over residual heat. Cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs in a mixing bowl, then whisk in salt, sugars and vanilla. Do this gently, so as not to whisk in to much air. Whisk in the chocolate. Fold in flour just until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with chopped nuts if desired.
- Bake for 33-35 minutes or until shiny and beginning to crack on top.
- Cool in pan on rack. Cut into brownie size of your choice.