If you’re craving German Chocolate flavors but don’t have time to make German Chocolate Cake, why not make German Chocolate Cookies? You could try these German Chocolate Brownie Cookies which are double chocolate with a pecan & coconut frosting. Or you could make these slightly simpler cookies which are double chocolate cookies with coconut, pecans and chocolate chips stirred into the dough.
There are dozens of variations, but this version was inspired by Sunny Anderson’s cookies. I’ve made a few minor changes including making the recipe in one bowl. Feel free to mix the dry ingredients separately, but I’ve found it doesn’t really matter here so long as you stir everything thoroughly in the one bowl.
These cookies have a chewy texture when made as directed. For small, crunchy cookies, you can divide each dough section into quarters and bake tiny cookies. To get them crunchy just reduce the heat to about 300 and bake them for about 18 minutes.
If you’re not convinced these are the cookies for you, here are a few other German Chocolate inspired treats.
Chocolate Coconut Crunchers (made with German Chocolate Cake mix)
German Chocolate Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened, divided (230 grams)
- 1 cup light brown sugar (200 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, natural
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt use 1/8 if using salted butter
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour (280 grams)
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Have ready two baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat softened butter, both sugars and vanilla until creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating until blended. Beat in the cocoa powder and stir until blended, then beat in the baking soda and salt, scraping sides of the bowl thoroughly. Add the flour and stir just until blended.
- Stir in the pecans, coconut and chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets, 12 per sheet, and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Yield: 36 cookies