I originally made Triple Chip Cookies for a block party. The recipe is great because it feeds a crowd and of course, the cookies are delicious.
The recipe uses baking powder instead of baking soda, plus a ton of flavored chips and nuts, so what you get is a dense, thick cookie jam-packed with goodies. The cookies have a better texture when baked with chilled dough, so for this batch I recommend scooping all the cookie dough ahead of time, refrigerating for a few hours, then baking before the festivities start….or whenever. It’s always nice to shape cookies and chill the rounds ahead of time, because you can keep them in plastic freezer bags and bake as needed.
Big Batch Triple Chip Cookies
- 3 cups 13.5 ounces all-purpose flour, sift or stir and fluff before measuring
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or only a pinch if using salted butter
- 2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup organic or natural granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups of bittersweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups of extra dark chocolate chips
- 2 cups of white chips
- 1 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt together thoroughly and set aside.
- In a last mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add both sugar and beat for another 2 minutes, then add the eggs and vanilla and beat just until mixed – don’t go crazy trying to make the batter smooth. You want everything to be mixed, but not it doesn’t need to be absolutely smooth.
- By hand or with lowest speed of mixer, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir just until blended. Stir in all of the chips and the pecans.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil. Using a rounded tablespoon, scoop about 60 scoops of dough and arrange them on the cookie sheet without worrying about spacing. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and chill the scoops of dough overnight. When ready to bake, remove from the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a couple of baking sheets with nonstick foil or parchment paper.
- Arranging the cold cookie dough balls on baking sheets and let come to room temperature as the oven preheats. Bake one sheet at a time on center rack for 15 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned. Let cool on cooking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling. Alternatively, you can bake two sheets at a time using the middle and lower rack, but alternate about halfway through so that the cookies bake evenly.