Not that you need an excuse, but it’s National Pound Cake Day so bake a pound cake! That is, if you like pound cake.
It’s actually not my favorite type of cake, but it’s a good complement to the berries that have been on sale lately. That, plus I’ve been searching for top pound cakes and wanted to try the highly regarded Elvis Presley’s Favorite before I’d forgotten the flavor and texture of my favorite Perfect Pound Cake with Cream Cheese.
The only change I made to the recipe on Epicurious was to halve it and bake it in an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. To halve seven eggs, I used 3 eggs plus 1 yolk. The cake smelled a little eggy when I took it out of the oven, but it didn’t taste too eggy once it had cooled. It was less dense and heavy than some of my other pound cakes and not as tight crumbed. It also seemed really sweet — not that being sweet is a bad thing, but it just seemed a tad bit sweeter than others. Maybe that’s why Elvis liked it? I don’t know. It’s definitely a very good cake, but I like the other one better.
- 3 cups sifted cake flour (should weigh around 12.5 oz), sift then measure
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar (weight 21 oz)
- 7 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- Sift the already-sifted flour 3 times total, then stir in the salt.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy, scraping bowl often. Do this for about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition, then beat in vanilla.
- Using the lowest speed of the mixer or if you prefer, by hand using a scraper, add half of flour, then all of cream, then remaining flour, mixing well after each addition.
- When batter is smooth and satin-y, pour batter into pan. Drop pan from about 2 inches onto the counter to remove air bubbles.
- Place pan in (cold) oven and turn oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until golden.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack, then loosen with a knife and invert
- Let cool completely before serving.