I’ve already confessed to liking cake mix lemon cakes better than scratch, so now that that’s out of the way here’s another recipe using lemon cake mix — Cake Mix Lemon Cheesecake Bars.
Cake Mix Lemon Cheesecake Crust
These bar cookies are easy and not too messy to put together. The crust is made by mixing a box of cake mix with an egg and some oil, and the topping is a basic cheesecake flavored with lemon zest and juice. You get some authentic lemon flavor along with your artificial lemon, so it’s the best of both worlds!
Actually, if you really want to make it the best you can top with a little whipped cream and berries. I left these plain so you could see what they look like without embellishments (and stacked).
Also, they freeze really well so you can make them way ahead of time. Just freeze the whole slab and wrap with freezer wrap, then cut into squares on serving day.
Looking For a Different Recipe
I really do like this recipe, but there’s another one you might want to consider if you’re on a lemon bar hunt. These Double Lemon Cheesecake Bars are good. I made them for a teacher luncheon years ago and they (the bars, not the teachers) disappeared pretty quickly. The crust is made with Nilla Wafers rather than cake mix.
Cake Mix Lemon Cheesecake Bars
- 1 box lemon cake mix 16.5 oz
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest feel free to use more
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch pan or line with nonstick foil or parchment.
- Mix cake mix, egg and oil until well blended, then press firmly and evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Add sugar and beat until blended, then using the lowest speed of the mixer, beat in the eggs. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and mix on low until smooth.
- Pour over prepared crust.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, then let cool completely. Chill for a few hours before serving.
- Lift from pan and cut into bars.