Low Fat Brownies With Condensed Milk

Yesterday’s recipe was a solution to the problem of what to do with half a can of condensed milk. This is a problem I encounter quite often. The obvious solution would be half a batch of Magic Cookie Bars, but I didn’t have any graham crackers, chocolate chips or nuts. My choices were limited, but I searched the Eagle Brand site and was lucky enough to find Low Fat Moist Chocolate Brownies.

As mentioned, I didn’t have the chocolate chips, but I had a few dark chocolate Hershey’s Kisses lying around so I used them. I also used regular condensed milk, since that is what I was trying to get rid of. And of course, I only made half a batch – an 8×8 inch pan.

These brownies remind of the store bought “No Pudge” brownies. They definitely taste light, but not in a bad way. The texture is moist, but not decadently rich. I’ll probably make them again, but include a low fat chocolate glaze.

Condensed Milk Brownie Recipe

condensedmilkbrownies.jpg

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Low fat brownies?Definately what I need to be making.lolEmilyhttp://madmommychronicles.typepad.com/biscuits_and_blues

2. From our Kitchen says

Those look very intensely chocolatey from the dark color. Maybe it’s just the photo though. I wonder how they would taste using a differnt kind of Hershey’s Kiss, like the mint ones…

3. Anna says

Are the mint kisses made with milk chocolate? If they are, I don’t think they’d work well. If they are made with dark chocolate, then maybe…..

4. From our Kitchen says

They are made with milk chocolate, I didn’t think of that. Oh well, it was a nice idea.

5. Tim Piatek says

Why would using milk-chocolate kisses be out of the question? Burning?

In any case, you sure can make dulce de leche with an open can – I’ve done it a few times from raw milk, and while that takes a long time, you can just shortcut the whole process with condensed milk. If you cook it until it’s VERY thick, you’ll have a lovely toffee-caramel type chew. Definitely worth giving a try!

6. Anna says

Hi Tim,

Thanks for stopping by. I love milk chocolate kisses, but really do not like how milk chocolate tastes after it’s been baked. It tastes a little too sweet and sometimes dries up a bit. In some recipes it works (recipes with lots of fat to buffer) but in some cases it just tastes to sugary.

Thanks for the condenced milk tip. Maybe next time I’ll cook up some dulce de leche.