Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies

One of the best things about being on the Bake-Off Contest floor was walking around and sampling the other contestants’ recipes. Last year I was too nervous to do that and opted to go back to the hotel room and hide under the covers. But this year, I walked around and tasted as many things as I could. One entry that really stood was called Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies.

I love Take 5 Bars, the candy after which these brownies were modeled, and these are similar. They are sweet, a little salty, and have a bit of crunch from the Reese’s cereal. The Reese’s cereal, which I thought it would get soggy but which in fact stays crisp and airy and balances out the richness of the brownies.

The worst part of making these was unwrapping the caramels. When will someone start packaging unwrapped blocks of caramel for baking? Maybe it’s not easy to do from a packaging standpoint (I wouldn’t know), but it’s 2006 and you’d think we’d have come up with a way to get past having to stand there and unpeel each little caramel. Lucky for me I have a 4 year old helper. But soon she’ll catch on to the fact that unwrapping caramel is not fun.  The end results were worth the trouble of unwrapping the caramels.

Peanut Butter Crunch Brownies

Comments

Those brownies look absolutely heavenly, so many yummy layers! Take 5 candy is also one of my favs, so these should be perfect for my tastes.

Yay! I keep checking back here! Congratulations! :) I keep saying… I “know” you! :) I am so glad you are back at blogging… I needed you last week when I had a craving for shortbread LOL!

Whoah, remodeling blazing on through, hurray! Sounds like a good bar cookie. Peanut butter and chocolate are a few of mine and my husband’s favourite things.

4. Anna says

Chloe, I love your ice cream cone.Yeah, remodeling is going slow. I’m never going to have a slick and professional looking blog, so I’ll just keep plugging away with my goofy commentary and bright colors. I might change the background to purple.

Glad to “see” you back in the blogging world Anna!Have you had a chance to buy fuzz her new play thing from Sams?

6. vegimouse says

Anna won the grand price of the BAKE OFF!!! Girls why are you keeping it so low key, you are like WOW!!!Anna ROCKS!!!!vegimouse

Wow, between you and Joe, I don’t know which to make first!Congratulations BTW. I have told everyone that I “know” the winner of the Bake-Off. I am so happy for you!

I thought it was just me with the caramels. I have some I bought for recipes but whenever I see a recipe that calls for them, I pass because I don’t want to unwrap the darn things. The brownies look great. I’m a cereal junkie so anything the incorporates it cannot be bad!I got to type nuugy…:-)

yum-o! These look great & I’m so happy to see you’re back to blogging. =)I have to admit, there are some recipes I would just loooovveee to make, but I avoid because they require unwrapping all those darn caramels. So I agree, someone should definitely develope a “caramel bar for baking”

Welcome back, and congrats again, Anna! PS – If you want a redesign, drop me a line. I just had mine done, and I know just the person to help you. :)

Welcome back, Anna! I must admit that these do look scrumptious – not to mention beautiful once they were sliced up.And I agree with you wholeheartedly about the caramels!

12. Gigi says

Did you ever try making your own caramel? It probably wouldn’t take as long as opening all those candies, but it definitely adds a layer of danger to the process (nothing burns worse than hot sugar!!!)

Congrats, Anna on your big win! I read Amy’s blogs and usually lurk but don’t post on your’s. Going to try these brownies over the weekend. So excited to “know” a fellow blogger who aced the Bake Off!

Congratulations on the grand Prize! I am new to the blog world but I have been reading yours for a long time and I am glad you are back from remodeling!Those bars look scrumptious and I think they will be on our cookout menu this sunday!

15. Anna says

Erica, sorry you were disappointed in the brownies. Maybe that’s why they didn’t win. Perhaps they were too peanut-buttery and not salty enough? I don’t know. I liked them the way they were, but am always up for improvements! Maybe you could keep the peanut butter the same, but add more pretzels and caramel?

I made these over the weekend & I was a little disappointed. I am a HUGE fan of the salty sweet combination. The salty sweet combination with peanut butter is even better. (who said Chubby Hubby?) With this recipe I thought I would be able to taste more salt & more caramel. I was disappointed that I couldn’t. Do you you think it would work if I added more caramel & pretzels and cut down on some of the PB mixture? (3/4 of the mixture).

17. Joanna says

I got home from work tonight and had a severe chocolate craving! When I saw these on your website, I knew they would meet my chocolate desires. haha I went to the store, got all but one of the ingredients (brownie mix), and went home and baked them. I went nuts when I realized that i had forgotten the brownie mix, so I had to make some from scratch. They were superb, along with the rest of the ingredients added on. Honestly, my mouth has never been so happy. These DEFINITELY aren’t the brownies you want to make if you are planning to wear a bikini this summer. But all in all, unwrapping the hundreds of caramels was well worth this chocolately masterpiece.

18. judy says

Ok so i confess…this is the second brownie recipe i made this weekend. hahaha. These are great to make. A lot interesting layers of flavors. If you like sweet and salty together….make these. My brownie layer cooked quicker than I expected so i recommend that you set the timer for about 5 minutes less than recipe calls for. I couldnt find regular caramels(for some reason) so i used the caramel bits and they worked fine. It took them a while to melt but still tasted good.