Hershey’s Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies

by on May 23, 2006 · 13 comments

I wasn’t feeling very creative today, so I just searched allrecipes.com for a chocolate cookie with a bunch of stars. For the cocoa, I used Hershey’s Dark, which is why these are so very black. They’re soft, super-chocolaty and would probably taste great with wasabi if I knew how to combine chocolate and wasabi. I’m still slightly miffed that I couldn’t make that flavor combo work. Oh well.

These were delicious as is, but they’re dark and rich enough to accommodate a pinch of chili pepper or cinnamon if you want to call them Aztec.

darkchocolatecookiesforblog2.jpg

3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup HERSHEY®’S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Heat oven to 375 Degrees F

In large bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla on medium speed of electric mixer about 2 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs; beat well.
Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating just until blended. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.

Bake 7 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.

Makes about 30 cookies

Published on May 23, 2006

gigi May 23, 2006 at 3:44 pm

mmmm…these look really good. What kind of chocolate chips did you use? I wonder what would happen if you left out the chips and nuts and instead dipped half of each cookie in melted white chocolate for an updated “black and white” cookie. I might have to give that a twirl.

Anna May 23, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Hi Gigi,I used Hershey Dark Chips.Mine seemed too soft to be dipped in white chocolate. I suppose it *could* be done, but with some difficulty. It might be better to just put white chocolate chunks in the actual batter. Then again, I only baked mine for 7 minutes, which is why they were soft and fudgy.

carole May 23, 2006 at 6:07 pm

This one gets made tomorrow. I’ll take them as a treat to my Photoshop class.When I see your recipes, I’ll never get out of the kitchen

Anonymous May 23, 2006 at 7:35 pm

Wow, these do look good. Now here’s a question I can’t help but ask. How can you bake as much as you do and not weigh 1,000 lbs?? Great recipes, though! I check this site weekly, if not daily, and always come away inspired to bake. Congrats on your latest win. Ellie

Anna May 23, 2006 at 9:02 pm

Carole, I hope you start a blog so you can show off your photoshop skills. Also, good luck transporting the cookies. You’ll need something kind of flat to carry them in because they are soft.Ellie, I think I am slowly making my way to 1,000 pounds. It’s really hard having all the cookies around some days, which is why I try giving them away or eating small amounts, but I think I am slowly gaining weight.

Erika May 24, 2006 at 7:27 am

These ones look good! As to the wasabi/chocolate combo, maybe you need to change the texture. I’m thinking along the lines of a truffle center, creme pie, or a naniamo bar- you know, the gooey soft chocolate- versus the baked dough texture. I can’t totally wrap my brain around that combination, but I have had some great chocolate concoctions with chili powder in it. That can’t be too far off.

carole May 24, 2006 at 10:00 am

Anna,I looked over the recipe and it doesn’t list the chocolate chips. What quantity did you use?

Anna May 24, 2006 at 11:31 am

Carole, I am sorry. I left out a few of the last ingredients when I copied it from allrecipe. Hopefully, you looked at the link. I corrected it.

tg May 24, 2006 at 8:38 pm

Enjoyed the little burst of Cookie Madness foot traffic, fyi. tanks! xo

carole May 24, 2006 at 9:59 pm

what type of chili pepper would you use, ground ancho? About 1/8 tsp?I am going to make them again tomorrow and split the batter in half. To one half I will add the chili powder and to the other half I will add some espresso cream.

surcie May 28, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Speaking of chocolate and wasabi, have you ever tasted Vosges chocolate bars? (www.vosges.com) My favorite one has dark chocolate, wasabi, and sesame. Yum!

Anonymous November 6, 2006 at 3:34 pm

how would i cook those cookies in only a microwave oven?

Anna September 13, 2008 at 4:15 pm

I’m posting this comment on behalf of Sam. Rather than post it, I am copying and pasting it. Not sure if Sam is a real person — no email. But Sam, if this happened to you, read my advice below.

FROM SAM:

“I just tried these.
They were absolutely disgusting!
I don’t get it as I’ve tried other recipes of yours and loved them.
These were so gross.
They’d burn within those 7 minutes so each batch was checked often and they’d still burn.
They tasted so bitter too.
I put in 2 cups of chocolate chipsand that didn’t help the cause.”

Sam, I’m sorry the cookies didn’t work. I have baking disasters too and they are no fun. As for this one, it sounds like maybe your oven is running a little hot. If you want to troubleshoot, shoot me an email. All I got was your comment and I can’t email you back to trouble-shoot.