Another Pecan Pie

by on May 29, 2007 · 10 comments

This is a traditional pecan pie with a filling that is very soft, but sets up well. It is a sweet pie, so if you prefer less sweet pies, you might want to consider a different recipe. Still, it’s not cloyingly sweet and one friend said it was the best pecan pie he’d ever tasted.

Here are some steps I took to make the pie taste better:
1) toasted the pecans
2) browned the butter and
3) cooked the syrups and sugar before using.

If you want to take it one step further, bake the pecan pie a day ahead, let it cool completely, then freeze it and thaw it. For some reason, pecan pie smooths out after being frozen. If you don’t freeze this one, it’s still excellent.

I used a crust recipe from Baking in America. I didn’t fashion a rim for the pie, which is why this one looks kind of strange. The crust was terrific, though. At some point, I’ll post that recipe too.

Smooth Pecan Pie

Another Pecan Pie

1 1/4 cups pecans, whole (you can use up to 1 ½ cups)
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
3/4 cup dark corn syrup
4 large eggs
4 tablespoons butter, melted, browned and slightly cooled
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 unbaked pie shell

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lay the pecans flat on a cookie sheet and toast them for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool, then chop them.

Meanwhile, in a small to medium size saucepan, boil sugar and both corn syrups together for 2 to 3 minutes; set aside to cool for 20 minutes.

In a mixing bowl beat eggs lightly with a spoon and slowly pour the syrup mixture into the eggs, stirring constantly. Stir in the cooled browned butter, vanilla, and toasted pecans; pour into crust. Set pie plate on a cookie sheet and bake for 40 minutes.

When you take the pie out of the oven, it will still be quite jiggly. Let it cool for a few hours and don’t be tempted to cut into it. It will set as it cools.

Notes: To brown butter, heat butter in a small saucepan over medium. Keep a close eye on it and just when you see brown on the edges, remove from heat and swirl to stir up the browned bits.

Published on May 29, 2007

Abi Jones May 29, 2007 at 10:11 am

Do you have any Derby Pie recipes? Also, I just realized that I must have started reading your blog after the major heat waves of DC were over, because I’m having a hard time reconciling running the AC while baking.

Anna May 29, 2007 at 11:30 am

Hi Abi,

You know, I don’t think I’ve ever made a Kentucky Derby Pie, but I just looked at a bunch of recipes and one thing’s for sure — I wouldn’t leave out the Bourbon. I think if I were to try baking that pie, I would start with this recipe:

Emilie May 30, 2007 at 4:35 am

I think pecan pie is my absolute favorite. Maybe coconut cream.
I will have to try freezing the pie. I think that’s cool that the filling smooths out.

Poutine May 30, 2007 at 9:34 am

My boss made some pecan pie bars from a Southern Living cookbook and they were so freaking good!!

Karen May 30, 2007 at 5:12 pm

I lost my pie crust bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum in the flood, but I’ll have to try this recipe next.

Anna May 30, 2007 at 8:01 pm

I think the next time I make pecan pie bars, I will add Bourbon and chocolate chips.

Aaron November 15, 2012 at 10:35 am

Did you put the pie in the picture in the freezer?

Anna November 15, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi Aaron, I don’t remember. It’s possible I chilled it because I usually chill or freeze my pecan pies before thawing and cutting. That piece looks like it was frozen and thawed. Sometimes freezing and thawing the pie smooths out the texture.

Aaron November 16, 2012 at 11:32 am

One more question. Can i use a whole stick of butter, would that make it richer, or is it fairly sweet. I just enjoy buttery toasted
pecans with pecan pie.

Anna November 16, 2012 at 11:44 am

Hi Aaron,

Now that I know what you like, I recommend the second pie on this link.

It has a lot of browned butter to offset the sweetness of the syrup and nobody has ever told me it was too sweet. The one on this post is good, but I’ve made so many pecan pies since then I’ve realized that my favorite is the one on the link above.