How to Reheat Cold Pizza

by on October 19, 2007 · 14 comments

It’s Friday, which means I can post random things like this:

From Cook’s Illustrated (an old one)

To reheat cold pizza slices, put them in a large skillet. Turn heat to medium, cover skillet with its lid, and cook the pizza for about 5-6 minutes or until it’s hot and bubbly. Remove the lid, let the pizza cook another minute or so to crisp it a bit, then serve.

reheating pizza

I tried this last night and it worked. The crust did not lose its crispy texture like it would have in the microwave and the cheese did not dry out.

Published on October 19, 2007

Angie October 19, 2007 at 9:11 am

Anna,

I heat the oven and place the slice of pizza right on the rack…and it crips and heats up very quickly and crunchy! It’s pouring today and my kids have off frrom school for a teacher in service day…we made pancakes for breakfast (from scratch) and I think we will make the s’mores bar recipe you posted awhile back…they love the picture and I have everything in the house …amazing! Oh, did I forget to mention that they both have a buddy that slept over? My daughter is 17 and my son is 11…so I have 2 17 year old girls and 2 11 year old boys…YIKES! The gorls want to go to the mall and the boys want to stay home…stay tuned!

Anna October 19, 2007 at 10:20 am

I use to just use the oven for reheating pizza, but the skillet lets you skip the pre-heating step.

Good luck with the sleep-over.

I have S’mores on the brain too. In fact, I pulled out my Smores Maker. We’re going to use it at the Halloween party next week.

Laurie L October 19, 2007 at 10:24 am

This is a fabulous idea–I saw it last year or the year before on Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. Ted Allen suggested this. See–great minds think alike!

Now if we can only get you, Anna, as a judge on Iron Chef!! Now THAT is a great gig! Thanks, Laurie

Anna October 19, 2007 at 10:27 am

Ted Allen’s cool. Do you have his book?

You know, I have never watched Iron Chef.

Alicia October 19, 2007 at 11:19 am

I usually just use the toaster oven, but I’ll have to try this next time. It would have never occurred to me!

Debbi October 19, 2007 at 12:24 pm

Totally off the subject of reheating pizza but I can’t believe you haven’t seen Iron Chef. It’s strangely addicting. My kids love it and I even have an Iron Chef party planned. I will have each kid make a dessert and the secret ingredient will be of course, chocolate! It’s a great show because you don’t have to sit there and watch it, you can do stuff while it is on.

Anna October 19, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Amy, this is ONLY for people like hot pizza.

Alicia, it never occurred to me either.

Debbi, let me clarify. I’ve watched Iron Chef for about 3 minutes 1 or 2 times. From what I remember, the chefs were cooking with sea urchins or something. Maybe they use more ingredients these days, but when I watched it, the show seemed really seafood focused and and I tend to block out or skip over everything seafood related.

Angie October 19, 2007 at 3:05 pm

I also learned this from Ted Allen on Queer Eye. I love that guy:)

I also love Iron Chef and Iron Chef America. I saw a turkey one a few months ago and one of the chefs made turkey ice cream. Needless to say that didn’t go over too well:)

Jill - GlossyVeneer October 19, 2007 at 2:33 pm

What an awesome tip! Thanks for sharing.

Iron Chef America is fun, they have all sorts of things as their “secret” ingredient (that they have to base all of their dishes upon). It can be anything from Big-Eye Tuna to Apples. It varies from show to show.

Laurie L October 19, 2007 at 3:05 pm

Hi Anna. No, I don’t have Ted Allen’s book. Should I get it? Laurie

Johnny October 21, 2007 at 8:11 am

oo, good idea.

ABi October 22, 2007 at 3:49 pm

You’ve got to hand it to the crazies over at Cooks Illustrated. Who else would make thirty pans of key lime bars in an effort to get the perfect recipe (theirs was much adored by my office, by the way) and who would make 20 pots of beef pot roast (or whatever beef/wine thing is in the latest issue) to tell you the right way to go about using a $30.00 bottle of wine?

I don’t think the folks at Martha Stewart living are going to such effort to test recipes and processes.

I’m glad there are such intense folks out there, ready to tell me that I really should consider a mild and buttery shortbread crust for my Italian-style cheesecake.

therustyfox March 18, 2008 at 8:19 pm

Yes! After years of snagging after the baby sitter leaves, late night congealed pizza, and working through cold, next day, no beer, hard cheese pizza, (microwaves were not invented for pizza),this really works. Better yet, laying fresh vegetables on skillet heated pizza offers the best of both worlds. Spread the word. Grazie per tutto and Slainte o’ Dhia duit! Yes,both worlds!

Anna March 18, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Happy Belated St. Patrick’s Day, Rusty Fox!