Pecan Pie with Golden Syrup

Today’s pie recipe comes from John Thorne via Chowhound, where a few people have rated and reviewed it. Instead of corn syrup, this recipe calls for Lyle’s Golden Syrup, which gives the pie a very distinct caramel flavor.

I used the Chowhound recipe as a guide, but made a few small changes. I toasted the pecans and didn’t use quite so many, used vanilla instead of rum and added the cream. The recipe says it’s optional, but it’s a good idea to keep it in because it cuts the sweetness of the pie.

Pecan Pie

Pecan Pie with Golden Syrup

1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2/3 cup golden syrup (Lyle’s)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 tablespoon Bourbon or Rum
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 ½ to 2 cups toasted pecan pieces
4 tablespoons heavy cream
9-inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large saucepan, bring the brown sugar, golden syrup and butter to a boil. When mixture boils, set timer for 1 minute and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.

In a mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, vanilla and salt. When the boiled syrup has cooled, Pour it into the egg mixture and stir well. Stir in pecans and cream. Pour into the unbaked pie shell and bake for 45-50 minutes. Pie should be set around edges, but slightly wiggly in center. It will set as it cools.

To toast pecans, lay flat on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes. Let cool, then chop into bits.

Comments

Oh wow! This is a great way to use up that leftover syrup I bought. I like the way you think.
    I’m going to make this for Thanksgiving. I’ll probably make a pie crust from scratch because I need to practice my skills. Do you think browning the butter would make a difference? I guess it boils, so maybe it wouldn’t make a difference it you toasted it.

I’ve been picking up pecans for weeks now. We’ve had a bumper crop and they are soooo good. Looks like a very good recipe to put them to use. I need to do better with pie crust also. Love that iTunes mix!

Emiline, the Lyle’s has a burnt sugar/caramel flavor, but I think browned butter wouldn’t hurt! Depends on how much time you have.

Anj, thanks for commenting on my iTunes mix. I think we’re going to go broke if I keep downloading stuff….but it’s fun. Check out my “Clean the House” mix ;). You have to click on “other mixes by this person” or something like that.

4. Abi Jones says

Have you tried the pecan pie recipe in the holiday baking issue of Cooks Illustrated? It looks a lot less syrupy/gooey than a lot of others I’ve seen lately.

5. Anonymous says

Woot, you listened to I’ll Cover You from Rent! :) I love rent. and all musicals, really. Idina Menzel is God.

And, to be slightly more on topic, I’ve actually been on a pie baking streak lately. The recipe book I use is called Pie by Ken Haedrich. I saw it in my school library, and I checked it out because after watching the movie Waitress, and the show Pushing Daisies, I just had to make some.

My name is Barbara, by the way.

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the comment! I’ll Cover You is one of my favorite songs from Rent. Todd runs and hides when I play it so I have to play it while alone at home or in the car. I’m not embarrassed to admit I love show tunes. I can’t sing at all, but I keep trying. I think my favorite is the Patty Lupone version of Evita. At one point, I had it memorized. I hope you are impressed ;).

Since you like pies so much, you might want to check out amazon.co.uk and hunt down some of the British pie books. They have a lot of good savory pies. I think I’ve mentione Sophie Conran’s book before….

I’m going to find a copy of the Ken Haedrich book.

WOW! This pecan pie looks scrumptious! I’ll be linking for National Pecan Month which is in April. Hope you don’t mind:)