Brownies Made With Nesquik

Wednesdays are always super busy, so I knew today’s recipe had to be quick; or in this case, “Quik”.

Brownies with Quik

I’d been meaning to try this recipe for the past 3 months. That is, since the day I bought loads of Nesquik to make this cake. It’s been languishing in the pantry, getting used here and there for milkshakes and whatnot, but I wanted to try it in brownies because I’m always running out of unsweetened cocoa powder and figured if it worked, it would be a good alternative.

I didn’t want a full 13×9 inch pan of brownies, so below is how I made them in an 8 inch pan. Someone told me that melted or dissolved sugar creates the shiny top, so to get that, I combined the sugar with the butter while the butter was hot, then microwaved it a bit more so the sugar would melt.  Don’t know if it was terribly necessary.

The brownies turned out great! They’re on the sweet side, but still very good and sturdy enough to wrap and send in a lunchbox. These are great for kids, but adults will probably like them too. I’m sort of an adult and I did.

Brownies Made With Nesquik

2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups NESTLÉ NESQUIK Chocolate Flavor Powder
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350° F. and line an 8 inch metal pan with foil; spray foil with cooking spray.

Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

In a medium size (3 quart is good) microwave safe mixing bowl, melt butter for 1 minute on high. Quickly stir in sugar and water, then microwave mixture for 30 seconds to help melt sugar. Stir and let stand for about 3-5 minutes. Add vanilla and egg and stir until mixed. Stir in Nesquik, then add flour mixture and stir just until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips. Rap pan on counter to bring air bubbles to top.

Bake for 18 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Chill for an hour or so, then lift from pan and slice into 12 brownies.

Makes 12 brownies

Comments

1. Stacy says

I have a great chocolate PB fudge recipe if you would like it. Not sure if you are a fudge kind of girl but its yummy. Made some last night and its already boxed up and given out to friends. Ok – so there are a few peices leftover for me and kids. hehe

Oh man, I just threw away my Nesquik, last week. It had been sitting in the closet since….I can’t remember. At least a year or two.
    The brownies look great! I’ll have to try melting the sugar with the butter. I love brownie science.

3. Shannon says

I was so surprised to see your comment on my blog! Thanks for the toffee tips – I will try that. My husband and I love to read through your blog and have tried many of your recipes – including the frito candy. (We liked it!) Today I am making Alton Brown’s Free Range Fruitcake. I have driven all over finding ingredients. I finally found candied ginger at Central Market (Dallas area) so I am ready to go.

Can’t wait to see what you make next!

Emiline, it’s probably best that you threw the Nesquik away if it was over a year old. But these brownies were really good. I’ll have to try one today to see if they age well.

Good luck with your fruitcake, Shannon.

I need to drive over to Central Market too. I’ve become obsessed with white truffle oil and my regular store doesn’t sell it.

Well, friends raved about that Ghirardelli recipe. As for this one, I really liked it and kept most of the brownies for myself. I’d have to test them side by side to see which one I liked better.

6. pumpkinpie says

I made these to bring to a dinner party, and caught my husband in the kitchen with brownie crumbs on his face, drinking milk straight out of the pitcher. “Oh my gosh, these are freakin’ good,” he groaned looking like he was in a trance…

Ha Ha! That’s funny. I was surprised brownies made with chocolate milk mix would be so good, but they are. Thanks for the feedback.

8. pumpkinpie says

Confession: I used The Spice Hunter Winter Sippers Spiced Cioccolata, not Nesquick because it’s what I had. I convinced everyone that it was a Mexican family recipe, and my host asked me to go into the brownie business.

9. pumpkinpie says

Hi! I just made this recipe using chocolate Horlicks malt powder. They are not overpowering in chocolate richness, so the chocolate chips are a good addition. I also added walnuts to enhance the malt flavor and contrast with the chewy texture. They are really good, and I will certainly make them again!

10. Natasha says

I’ve made these brownies twice now, and they are AMAZING. I followed the recipe as written, only I bake about 5 mins longer. I’ve been a failure at brownies from scratch, but not anymore! I guess the key is to not overmix once you add the flour. Thanks for the recipe!

11. jan says

hello anna, I just got married and i am now learning to bake goodies. I saw your recipe but i didn’t understand what you mean by: Rap pan on counter to bring air bubbles to top.” Would you mind to pls tell me what it means…it’s hard to be a beginner. I dont know if you mean : “WRAP” when you wrote there “RAP”.

Hi Jan,

I meant “rap” as in bang it a little bit. What I do is hold the pan about 3 or 4 inches above the counter (assuming it is metal — if you are using glass to bake your brownies, don’t try it!) and then drop it. Or you can just hold it and gently tap it. The goal is to bring air bubbles up from the bottom of the pan so that the brownies will bake up denser. Feel free to email with any questions, Jan! It’s great that you are learning to bake. I’ve been doing it for a long time and I still get confused on occasion :).

13. jan says

Hello Anna, thank you for your very quick reply. I am very excited to bake it…thanks once again. I will surely let you know how it turned out. I’m very sure that everyone will love it. We are going to a Bible study and I will be bringing the brownies as a present to the Pastor. Take care and thank you for being so kind.

Hi Anita,

I think other brands would work as long as the ingredients list is similar to Nestle’s. Nestle’s main ingredients are sugar and cocoa. If you are using a chocolate milk powder that has dried milk in it (something that is meant to be mixed with water rather than milk), you will get different results.

15. Alexis says

Don’t have regular sugar, will powdered sugar work? It seemed to work when I made banana bread the other day…

Hi Alexis,
    Powdered sugar has a lot less mass per cup than regular sugar. A cup of powdered sugar weighs a little over 4 oz, while a cup of regular sugar weighs 7 oz. So if you use powdered sugar you’ll be cutting the mass of sugar which will change the composition of the recipe. Also, powdered sugar has cornstarch in it which will also change the composition of the recipe. So my advice is to hold off until you get some sugar. If you are desperate to try it, then weigh out the equivalent of powdered sugar. In this case you’d need 3 1/2 oz (weight), so in volume that would be about 3/4 cup volume (if you don’t have a scale).