Cranberry Turtle Bars

by on December 22, 2007 · 7 comments

Today’s recipe, which I made last night, is from the big yellow, lacks-pictures-but-I-love-it-anyway, Gourmet Cookbook. In the book, these are called Cranberry Caramel Bars, but on Epicurious, they’re called Cranberry Turtle Bars.

I didn’t read the Epicurious reviews until after I’d finished making the bars, but I agree with those who felt the chocolate was not critical. It does add a nice finish, but next time I will drizzle it on in a much thinner stream.

As one Epicurious reviewer pointed out, these don’t have eggs and would be good for people with allergies. You could also sub Earth Balance Buttery Sticks and make these vegan, I suppose…..seems like it would work.

These were very good and I will make them again when I am less pressed for time. That means making them in the correct size pan (I halved the recipe and used a 9 inch square), chopping the cranberries and pecans properly, and drizzling the chocolate with more finesse. While this batch was a bit rough looking, the bars, which are tart, sweet and buttery, still taste great.

Cranberry Turtle Bars

Published on December 22, 2007

Sue December 22, 2007 at 10:13 am

I also love that cookbook, even though it doesn’t have pictures. I own several great cookbooks without pictures. Pretty pictures are good, but great recipes are even better.
I have all of the ingredients for these bars. I should give them a try. Right now I have quick cinnamon biscuits in the oven from the Moosewood Restaurant New Classics cookbook. (Another good cookbook with no pictures.) I hope the biscuits are good.

Anna December 22, 2007 at 12:18 pm

Sue, if you like that cookbook you will love this.

VeggieGirl December 22, 2007 at 12:45 pm

oooh, these bars sound lovely – great to hear that they’re easy to veganize!

Sue December 22, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Thank you for that link!! That blog is really fascinating and she has put a ton of work into it! I love the part where she has it all indexed! I’m going to get out my book, and compare the things I’ve tried and my results to hers.

CookieMonster December 23, 2007 at 12:30 am

This site is fabulous! Just came across it, and will be a regular visitor!

Anna December 23, 2007 at 12:11 pm

Hi Keith,

I hope you post a picture on your site. Also, congratulations on your acceptance to Johnson & Wales. I had no idea they had a campus in North Carolina.

About the runniness, is there a chance your caramel didn’t quite hit 245 both times. After I added the frozen cranberries, I noticed the temp went down quite a bit and I had to cook the mixture for another 4 minutes or so.

carole December 25, 2007 at 8:39 am

These are great, Anna. How about using dried tart cherries and a white chocolate drizzle for valentines day.