Tiramisu Brownies

by on January 31, 2008 · 16 comments

The current issue of Taste of Home is out and the cover says “Best Ever Desserts – Simple Lemon Pie, Tiramisu Brownies, Toasted Butter Pecan Cake.”

Everything sounded good, but the recipe I was most interested in was Tiramisu Brownies. I flipped through the pages to find it, worried that it would be something gooey, but it wasn’t. It looked like a relatively portable, easy to cut, serve and share brownie which just happened to have the flavors of tiramisu.

I made the brownies today, even though it required a trip to the grocery store for ingredients. If you make the full pan, plan on spending some $$$ because it calls for two cartons of mascarpone and 12 oz chocolate. I cut the expenses by making half a pan.

The brownies turned out great and looked sort of like the TOH picture, but I did have an issue. The review on the TOH mentioned the chocolate batter was hard to spread and she wasn’t kidding. The key, and you’ll know what I’m talking about when you get to this step, is to be very careful how much batter you put on the bottom layer (no more than the amt. called for) or you won’t have enough chocolate batter to cover the top.

I’m linking directly to the recipe so you can track the reviews and see TOH’s picture.

Here’s my picture. I think these will be even better tomorrow but they’re pretty good after only an hour in the refrigerator.

Tiramisu Brownie

Published on January 31, 2008

Sue January 31, 2008 at 1:42 pm

I adore good tiramisu. I find this fascinating because I don’t like coffee or anything coffee flavored, but that all goes out the window with tiramisu! I’ll have to try these.
I have a question about mascarpone. I made tiramisu once, and it was excellent, but here in the upper midwest in our mid size town, we don’t have access to a lot of “gourmet” ingredients. I was able to get mascarpone, but I found the texture to be odd. Sort of grainy. Is it supposed to be that way?

Therese January 31, 2008 at 2:02 pm

Could I substitute cream cheese for the mascarpone? Or is mascarpone closer to ricotta?

If you are looking for a great soup recipe in that issue…I made the Beef Barley Soup (page 62). I substituted the beef bouillon granules and 5 cups water with 6 cups beef stock. It turned out yummy!! p.s. The Yeast Corn Bread Loaf (same page) is great too!!

Are you going to try the cover story…that layered mocha cheesecake???!! Dang that looks good!!

Anna January 31, 2008 at 2:45 pm

Sue, maybe something had happened to yours are you didn’t get a good brand. The kind I use is very smooth. It’s like cream cheese but softer.

Therese, the cream cheese would probably work. However, the mascarpone made for a really soft and delicate filling that matched the soft (probably due to cake flour) and tender outer part. So if you make this one, you might want to spring for the mascarpone.

I saw that soup recipe too! I’m not that into beef but the recipe and photo was appealing. Maybe they did some voodoo magic on on it.

I may try to turn that mocha cheesecake into another mini loaf cheesecake.

Shabby Miss Jenn January 31, 2008 at 4:46 pm

HOLY MOLY! These look SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!!!

Catherine January 31, 2008 at 4:51 pm

That’s a great transition recipe…from one wonderful dessert to another, easier to “take places” one. I’m helping to organize a “dessert table” for my niece’s wedding…she abhors wedding cakes (they scare her!) and the whole family is going to contribute different desserts! I think this one would be lovely to include. Thanks for posting this!

Jennifer January 31, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Bookmarked! I must try these.

Alicia January 31, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Mm, that looks good. I’m surprised it holds it’s shape so well.

Anna, I’m curious, do you find cinnamon chips easily where you are? I haven’t been able to find any.

Anna January 31, 2008 at 6:27 pm

Hi Alicia,

I buy them at the grocery store, but if your grocery store doesn’t sell them you can buy them off Amazon.com.

Therese January 31, 2008 at 8:21 pm

HEY!

I can’t find the cupcake in the TOH magazine…what happened to the toothpick idea?

Just a random thought.

Katie February 1, 2008 at 3:35 am

Good source for baking chips (including cinnamon!)

Jessica February 1, 2008 at 5:59 am

They certainly look rich. I saw this recipe in TOH as well and wondered how they really tasted. Great review.

Julie O'Hara February 1, 2008 at 11:06 am

These look very good. I like the mascarpone layer in the center instead of swirled on top like a cream cheese brownie (although the PB swirl brownies totally rule!). I’m interested to try because of the cake flour too. I’m afraid you’re starting me on a brownie baking kick:)

Sheri February 1, 2008 at 9:33 pm

Just want to say you could always make your own cheese
It is actually very easy and cost effective.

Cakelaw February 2, 2008 at 2:43 am

These look terrific – one to file away to try. (I just made Dorie Greenspan’s tiramisu cake, and it was awesome!)

Monica April 4, 2008 at 11:52 am

Hi Anna. I’m a huge fan of your blog! When you posted this recipe I knew I had to try it. They were delicious! I did cut the recipe in half you did, but I’m not sure if I over-baked them… How did you adjust the baking time for the 8×8 pan? How can I be sure they are done?

Anna April 4, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Hi Monica,

To test if a brownie is done, I usually stick a wooden skewer or toothpick in the center. If it comes out with moist crumbs (as opposed to batter) I take the brownies out. Personally, I prefer brownies on the underdone side so I err on the side of underbaking than overbaking. But there’s a difference between underdone and raw, so you have to be careful.

As far as cook times go, when halving a recipe and baking it in a smaller pan, I usually check for doneness about 5 minutes before a full batch would be done. So if a full batch recipe sayst to bake for 25 to 30 minutes, I would check a small batch at 20 minutes.

Knowing when something is done takes practice, so if you overshoot or undershoot timing on a recipe, consider it a lesson for next time.