Apple-Oatmeal Muffins

Yesterday I was going through some old newspaper clippings and found a few basic muffin recipes. I decided to bake some today so that Fuzz could have homemade muffins for snacks. I can’t remember if I’ve told you this, but I bake the muffins, wrap them individually and freeze them. Fuzz doesn’t like eating breakfast, so a frozen muffin gets thrown in her backpack and by snack time (which is about 10:00) she’s set — not too mention very hungry and less picky.

I ended up making quite a few changes to the original recipe and came up with these. They’re gorgeous – high tops and a perfect size. What they are not is too sweet. In fact, I’d be hesitant to make these without the streusel topping because the bottom part is more bread-like than cake-like and the streusel really punches things up. I’m going to make these again with white whole wheat flour. Also, I shredded the apple in the food processor so the muffins wouldn’t have chunks.

apple oatmeal muffins

Apple-Oatmeal Muffins

Streusel Topping:
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons firm butter

Muffins:
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup oats – old fashioned or quick cooking (not instant)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup peeled and very finely chopped or shredded apple

Preheat oven to 400 degree F.

Line a muffin tin with 12 paper liners.

Prepare topping. Stir together flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. With a pastry cutter or two forks, cut in the butter until crumbly. Set aside. I did this in a food processor.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Add liquid mixture and apples to flour mixture. Divide evenly among muffin cups.

Spoon about 1 tablespoon streusel mixture on top of each muffin. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden around edges

Comments

1. Sue says

Thanks for posting your muffin recipes. I like muffins that aren’t so sweet and cakey, so I’ll be sure to try this recipe some day. When my kids were small I made a point of making muffins that were really muffins instead of cupcakes masquerading as muffins. I wanted them to know and appreciate the difference.

As to your non chocolate posts lately. It makes me think of your header which I think you changed a month or more ago. Didn’t it change from the chocolate chip look to the peanut (non chocolate) look, or am I imagining that?

Sue, I hope you try them. I gave half the batch to my friend Sarah. She ate two and her kids ate 4 so I guess they’re good muffins.
    And yes, the banner no longer has chocolate in it. I’m going to have to fix that!

3. Laura says

Hi Anna,

The texture under the streusel topping looks amazing! Tomorrow I’m going to be making the Triple Play Peanut Butter Cookies for my brother in-law’s buddy’s birthday (they’re in Iraq so I will be sending them) and I was wondering if you remember how many cookies the recipe makes? -Thanks.

My husband doesn’t like breakfast either, but he will eat muffins. I’ll have to try these out! My muffin repetoire isn’t very big right now, and I bet the husband would like these.

Ooh, that’s for me! Should Splenda up nicely. And I have a great sugar-free topping recipe somewhere, where you combine Splenda with flour, cinnamon, nuts, and melted butter, and then bake it into crumbles.

6. Michele says

these are cooling as we speak. might have snuck a bite two seconds ago only to get my mouth burned by melty appley goodness, but that’s okay. taste buds grow back, don’t they?

can’t wait to try more of your recipes :* spiced cocoa muffins are next on my list !

Made a double batch of these terriffic muffins yesterday! Seriously the most gorgeous muffins I have ever made (nice crowns and beautiful streusal topping!). So delicious too. Planning to freeze them and thaw for breakfast at work. Thanks for a another great recipe!

Kim, thanks for the review! This is another one I need to put in the new recipe format, so I’m glad you tried it and brought it to my attention.