Easy Applesauce Streusel Cake

by on March 5, 2008 · 16 comments

Here’s another treat for today. This is a cake I baked for my mom, who came to town for a visit.  I had this coffee cake in the oven when she arrived and the whole house smelled great!  The original recipe is from a book called A Texas Hill Country Cookbook but if you have problems, don’t blame the book because I made about 10 changes. The end result was delicious.

Apple Cake

1 large egg

Streusel
1/4 cup cake or all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Dash fresh nutmeg (1/8 tsp)
4 tablespoons cold butter
1/4 cup chopped pecans (don’t need to toast)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 inch round springform pan or an 8 inch square metal pan with flour-added cooking spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, soda, cinnamon, allspice and brown sugar; set aside.

In a large bowl, mix melted butter, applesauce, sour cream, vanilla and egg. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid ingredients and stir until mixed. Pour into pan.

Make streusel. In a mixing bowl or food processor, mix together all dry ingredients then cut in butter. Sprinkle over top of cake. Sprinkle nuts over top of streusel. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown around edges.

Cool slightly. Remove sides of pan and cut into triangles.
Serves 6

** Can omit and use 1 cup applesauce

Published on March 5, 2008

Carol March 5, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Mmmmm, anything with apple and streusel is okay by me. And easy, and with ingredients that I keep on hand. I’m in! Will be making this very very soon. Thanks for the bonus treats, Anna!

Glad you are feeling so well, and get to go to a concert, too! Woohoo!

Chris C-L March 5, 2008 at 10:01 pm

Does anyone substitute plain yogurt for sour cream in recipes? I’ve done it a few times and have been very pleased with the results. The flavor is much the same, but you cut out a ton of fat.

I think some cinnamon chips would be yummy in this too.

Cakelaw March 5, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I love a good apple cake – thanks for sharing.

Carol March 5, 2008 at 11:16 pm

I made this tonight, and it was delicious! The cake is very light and the streusel adds a nice sweet crust. I used all applesauce – but Chris, I would have used yogurt instead of sour cream, too – I just decided I wanted maximum apple in it so went with that option. I use my homemade applesauce, which includes peels, and that worked just fine.

Thanks again, Anna! It was fun to throw this together on a whim and have it come out so great. I can’t wait to have some more in the morning. :-)

carole March 6, 2008 at 2:23 am

Anna, do you think I could make into muffins.

clair March 6, 2008 at 4:24 am

My Grandma has lots of apple trees and makes her own apple sauce and then will make applesauce cakes. I love her applesauce cake! Once she thought she forgot to add salt so she just sprinkled a little on the top when it was in the oven…strange but delicious! I need to start collecting her recipes.

This one looks very tasty.

Amy March 6, 2008 at 8:34 am

I wasn’t planning on baking this morning, but this caught my eye. It turned out great! Even though I rushed too quickly and somehow overlooked the white sugar in the topping. Still good though!

Anna March 6, 2008 at 8:39 am

Carol and Amy,

Thanks for trying the recipe. We’re enjoying the cake too. I think what I like about it is the apple flavor is subtle and it’s more of a spice-focused cake. Spice-focused. I guess that’s my new term for the day.

Kay March 6, 2008 at 9:48 am

Anna, wanted to pass on a similiar recipe. This is ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. The cake is very moist but the top stays crisp with the crumle topping and brown sugar glaze. I took it to a friend who had just had a baby and she couldnt keep her husband and son from eating the whole thing! I had to make her another one just for herself! My family loves it too!

Here is the recipe:
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 cups peeled, cored and chopped apples
Crumble Topping
½cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Brown Sugar Glaze
½ cup packed light brown sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch glass baking dish with 2 teaspoons of the butter.

In a large bowl, cream together the remaining stick of butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after the addition of each. In a separate bowl or on a piece of parchment, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the wet ingredients, alternating with the sour cream and vanilla. Fold in the apples. Pour into the prepared baking dish, spreading out to the edges.

To make the topping, in a bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter, and mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the cake and bake until golden brown and set, 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes.

To make the glaze, in a bowl, combine the sugar, vanilla, and water and mix until smooth. Drizzle the cake with the glaze and let harden slightly. Serve warm.

Carol March 6, 2008 at 10:32 am

Anna, you’re right, the apple is not a main flavor at all. I used a full cup of applesauce, with peels, and there’s no trace of the peels, even. The cake is moist and a little denser this morning than right out of the oven, and just lovely. Yum, yum! Whatever changes you made to the original recipe certainly seem to work, I can’t imagine it being any better.

Judy March 6, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I’m temporarily off desserts (hips are recovering from chocolate overdose)but I love your Portmerion dishes.

Hendria March 6, 2008 at 6:38 pm

just to let you know I made this yesterday and it is GREAT….. Thanks for posting the recipe. I just love this blog….. :)

Chelsea March 7, 2008 at 4:22 pm

I made this this morning!
I subbed plain yogurt for sour ceam, and apple pie spice for allspice.
I also left the white sugar out of the topping, and reduced the brown sugar in the cake to 1/2 cup.
This was great!! Hubby isn’t much on sweets, and this was perfect. Not too sweet, and certianly not bland.

Elena April 24, 2008 at 2:08 pm

used yogurt instead of sour cream.. came out AMAZING, very very moist.. had it with some cream cheese icing, but is great even without it..

Anna April 24, 2008 at 2:10 pm

Thanks for all the latest reviews and the yogurt experiments. I’m really happy to know yogurt works as well as sour cream.

kristan roland January 27, 2010 at 1:27 pm

YUM YUM YUM!! I will definitely be trying this!!! I love coffe cake and I love apple cakes!!
What a great combination!!