Big Flat Chewy Oatmeal Cookies — Small Batch

by on September 1, 2008 · 16 comments

Happy Labor Day!

Time to put away all your white tennis shoes. Or is it all your white clothing? I forgot what the rule was, but I know it involves some sort of clothing restriction that always kind of irritated me even though I don’t wear a lot of white clothing.

Labor Day’s not about fashion, though. It’s about celebrating the work force. So thanks, work force! I’d like to bake everyone in the workforce a batch of cookies today, but I did the opposite and baked a really small batch of cookies for myself only….and maybe Todd. He doesn’t usually like oatmeal cookies, but this recipe is an exception.

These cookies are based on a recipe from Small Batch Baking. The original version only makes two cookies, but since it’s a holiday I went all out, doubled the recipe, and made four. Okay, truth be told, I always make a double batch of these because they are just so good.

Warning. The cookies spread like crazy and brown to a point that might make you uncomfortable. In fact, you may think you’ve ruined the cookies, but don’t despair. Carefully move them to the cooling rack and let them cool completely before tasting. They are really good. They don’t have any brown sugar, but the sugar and butter caramelize a bit giving these wonderful sweet (and kind of salty) flavor. The edges are crispy, the centers are chewy and while the cookies look delicate, they should stack pretty easily.

Big Flat Chewy Oatmeal Cookies

Small Batch Big Flat Oatmeal Cookies

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (gently spoon and sweep)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespooons old fashioned oats
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 scant teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 generous tablespoons of lightly beaten egg
1/3 cup each – raisins and toasted chopped pecans.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment. In this case, insulated cookie sheets work best. These cookies are thin and the insulation helps prevent burning/overbrowning.

Mix flour, oats, sugar, salt, soda and cinnamon together very thoroughly in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the softened butter and mash it in with the dry ingredients, mixing with a fork or fingers until the dry ingredients are moistened and butter is well distributed. Stir in the vanilla and egg. When well mixed, add the raisins and pecans.

Divide the batter into fourths and scoop big blogs of dough onto the cookie sheet, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake for about 15-18 minutes (original recipe says 20, but mine burn at 20) then let cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.

Makes 4

Published on September 1, 2008

VeggieGirl September 1, 2008 at 11:13 am

Those cookies look like the perfect way to celebrate this day off from work/school/etcetera :-)

bakingblonde September 1, 2008 at 11:37 am

I am baking cookies today as well! What better way to pay myself for all of my labor!! ha ha

Katrina September 1, 2008 at 11:45 am

I was just thinking about oatmeal cookies because I just bought a new container of oats and was thinking about trying the Vanishing ones on the box. I like the look of these flat chewy/crispy ones.
Can I still run in my white running shoes? I’m so confused! ;)
Happy Long Weekend!

Anna September 1, 2008 at 11:48 am

I think white tennis shoes are an exception — at least when it applies to running shoes.

clumbsycookie September 1, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I love the idea od small batches! It’s funnt how usually you hald recipes and had to double this one! I love a good oatmeal cookie, I almost did one from your site today, a salty crisp one you did not long ago. But then at last minute I decided to do another thing.

Carole R. September 1, 2008 at 1:20 pm

Happy Labor Day to the Ginsberg family (Anna, Todd, Fuzz and Lizzie).

Since fall brings cooler weather I can start making all the wonderful recipies I’ve been saving all summer.

Joanna September 1, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Anna, your description of these cookies is so precise and detailed that I can taste them in my mouth right now. Thanks a lot!!!

runjess September 2, 2008 at 9:37 am

Those look like good ice cream sandwich cookies.

Lisa September 2, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I just made a double batch of these (double your already doubled recipe). I’ve been excited to try chocolate covered raisins in oatmeal cookies for a long time so I used them in these.

The cookies were good, but the dough was TO DIE FOR. I couldn’t stop myself. I’m making these again for sure, only next time I can guarantee that NONE of that dough will make it into the oven. Oh man!

Anna September 2, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Lisa, wow. Now you have a total of 8 cookies. Oh my! What are you going to DO with ALL THOSE COOKIES.

I didn’t try the dough, but I love the cookies. I refrigerated one mound of dough overnight and baked it up today. Today’s cookie came out slightly thicker, but still chewy and sweet/salty.

Leslie September 2, 2008 at 3:26 pm

These looked sooooo good to me that I chose them as the very first thing to make in my new oven that arrived today~~they were DELICIOUS, but mine turned out “cake-like”~~tall, thick, and almost like a muffin inside~~soooo good, so I can’t really complain, but the part that looked so good to me was the flat crispy part!~~do you know what I could have done wrong?

Anna September 2, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Leslie, it sounds like you used too much flour. Did you by any chance scoop your flour? If so, you probably packed too much into the cup and/or tablespoons. If you try the cookies again, spoon the flour gently into the cup and sweep it across the top. I’m going to add a note about that next to the flour.

If you have a scale, the flour should weigh about 1.7 ounces or 47 grams.

Leslie September 2, 2008 at 4:49 pm

duhh!~~i was the one who didn’t know what that meant on the whole wheat cake, lol!~~ok, from now on, i’m doing that EVERY time i bake, no matter if it says to or not!~~thanks for all of your help!

Kim November 5, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Hi, just wondering what heat to set the oven on before I start?

Kim November 5, 2008 at 2:19 pm

Oops lol nevermind I see it now

Katrina April 23, 2013 at 7:08 pm

AWESOME recipe! I used these cookies to make oatmeal cream pie. Soooo tasty.