Almond Butterscotch Bars — A+

This one’s from the Blue Diamond nut company. It’s a brown sugar flavored shortbread topped with sliced almonds and butterscotch chips. The shortbread base is thin but very sturdy and makes a good foundation for the mixture of almonds and butterscotch chips. Did you know Hershey makes butterscotch chips? I didn’t, but our store started selling them a few days ago so I picked up a bag. They taste different than Nestle’s butterscotch chips and I’m not sure which brand I like better. If you want to try them yourself, you can buy them on-line.

As for the recipe, it is definitely something I will make again. The original version is made in a 15×10 inch pan, but I quartered and used an 8 inch square metal pan. Now I wish I’d made the full recipe.

butterscotch toffee bars

Almond Butterscotch Bars

1 cup softened butter
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 cup butterscotch morsels
1 cup blanched slivered almonds ( I used sliced)

Cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts and salt. Gradually beat in flour until well-blended. Press mixture evenly into ungreased 10 1/2 x 15 1/2 x 1-inch jellyroll pan. Sprinkle butterscotch morsels and almonds over cookie mixture; press lightly. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.

Cool on wire rack.Cut into 2-inch squares.

Makes 35 bars.

Comments

Looks delicious, I love butterscotch! I am thinking about making the butterscotch pumpkin pie from the November issue of Bon Appetit for thanksgiving.

i always think any dessert made with almonds is elegant. don’t you? i’m not sure why… maybe it’s because almond extract is an acquired taste and only sophisticated palettes like it.

i have no idea what i’m saying haha it’s almost 1 and i just got done making 2 batches of cookies from your site. i need to go to sleep. goodnight!

3. jocelyn says

How does this compare to the toffee bars in your recipe list? That cookie is always well received.

4. Janet says

I am going to a neighborhood party tonight and have made your Pat’s chocolate chip bars already and think I will make these as well. I think they will be as big a hit as Pat’s CC bars are! Thanks, Anna! Happy Halloween!

I love butterscotch. In fact my fave cookie right now are Double Butterscotch Cookies! haha.
    Those bars look right up my ally, thanks for the! A plus recipe!

These look beautiful and I know they taste great. This will be a perfect go to recipe for the next event I need to bake for. I will substitute chocolate chips for the butterscotch, though. :-)

7. Michelle says

Oh these look yummy!! Thanks for sharing this recipe! I’m going to add it to my want-to-try pile.

8. Jennifer says

I like butterscotch but I don’t like the butterscotch chips. What do you think would be a good substitute? I have white chocolate, semi-sweet, milk chocolate and cinnamon chips at home…
    Jennifer