One of my favorite ways to make chewy brownies is to add marshmallows to the batter. As the brownies bake, the marshmallows melt into the brownies creating little pockets of chewiness. Two good examples are Melted Marshmallow Browniess and Capetown Brownies. And now there’s a blondie variation! The recipe is from a 1982 Southern Living Annual where it goes by the name Chewy Marshmallow Brownies. Since these are really more like blondies and to distinguish it from the others mentioned, I’m calling them Chewy Marshmallow Blondies.
The recipe is quick and simple, plus it’s interesting in that it calls for 1/2 cup of butterscotch morsels that are melted with the butter and added to the batter. The melted morsels along with the marshmallows give the bars an almost candy-like texture. Here’s a photo of them before being baked.
And here’s one after.
After making Chewy Marshmallow Blondies, I tried to find similar versions on-line. Allrecipes.com has it has Disappearing Marshmallow Brownies, but their version is doubled and made and baked in a 9×13 inch pan. I recommend sticking with the smaller batch or using 2 8 inch square pans because you get more chewy edges. I also recommend using butterscotch chips rather than substitutions because I tried a substitution (Hershey’s elusive salted caramel flavored chips) and the blondies were pale and not as flavorful. I will also mention that I’m not even a huge fan of butterscotch chips, but they just worked so nicely here.
- 1/2 cup (84 grams) butterscotch morsels
- 4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (100 grams)
- 1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (83 grams)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, but only ¼ if you used salted butter
- About 1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 cup (generous) miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup chopped, toasted pecans
- Line an 8 inch square pan with nonstick foil (or just grease it) and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. You can use glass or metal.
- Put the butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds. Add the morsels and stir to coat with butter. Heat for another 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until morsels are melted. Let cool.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the brown sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix in the melted and cooled butterscotch mixture, then add the baking powder, salt and flour. Stir until smooth, then stir in the chocolate chips, marshmallows and pecans.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool, then cut into large squares. If you have the time, I recommend cooling completely and chilling before slicing.