Frosted Cakey Brownie

Okay, I’ve accomplished a goal and there is now a cakey brownie in the Cakey Brownie sub-category. I think we’re good for a while.

Cakey brownies are fine, but when I’m in the mood for something cakey I just bake a cake. This brownie is like a dense, rich piece of chocolate cake and it is best plated. You could eat it with your hands, but you’d make a big mess.

So if you like cakey brownies and are okay with serving them on a plate (maybe with some Blue Bell Vanilla Bean Ice Cream?), these are Grade A.

The recipe is adapted from the King Arthur Cookie Companion. If you don’t have that book, you can buy it here. If you don’t want to buy the book, definitely check out KA’s other great brownie recipes.

Cakey Brownie

Frosted Cakey Brownies (from KA)

16 tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups Dutch Process cocoa**
1 tablespoon vanilla
5 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cups all purpose unbleached flour
1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)

Chocolate Frosting (adapted from a Nancy Baggett recipe)
2/3 cup cream
¼ cup powdered sugar
6 oz bittersweet chocolate or 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
¼ teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13×9 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.

Melt butter in a microwave-safe mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar and cocoa, beating with a spoon. With the spoon, beat in vanilla, then beat in eggs, one by one. Beat in baking powder and salt (making sure baking powder is dissolved), then stir in water. When smooth, add flour and stir just until blended. Add chocolate chips if using.

Pour into pan and bake for about 28 minutes. Let cool. Frost brownies when cool.

To make frosting, combine cream and sugar in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for about a minute or until cream is extremely hot. Add the chocolate to the hot cream mixture and stir until it is melted, smooth and glossy. Stir in the vanilla. Pour over the brownies. Put the pan of brownies in the refrigerator for about an hour to set. Lift from pan and cut into squares.

Makes one 13×9 inch pan.

I had to use Hershey’s Dark and my brownies came out a bit darker. Other Dutch process cocoas will probably give you a lighter brownie.

Comments

1. Sue says

Those look really good! Cakey brownies aren’t my favorite either, but I don’t think I’d turn my nose up at one of those!

Wow! It looks good! But kind of like my latest post, looks aren’t everything. I look at the chocolate “cake” I made and it looks divine, but it wasn’t the taste I wanted. I’ll take a chewy/fudgy one. Actually, I’m all cookied out and couldn’t eat a bite! ;)

3. HeartofGlass says

The times I’ve made cakey brownies, like Martha Stewart’s low fat brownies with prune butter, it was purely for the fact they were a ‘not so bad for you calorically sweet’ since the cakey ones tend to be lower in calories than the fudgy ones. On a taste basis, however, the darker and denser the better for me.

These look wonderful, although I too prefer the fudgy type brownie. I recently tried Ghirardelli’s Triple Chocolate Brownie mix, just slightly undercooked, and they were quite respectable. Just mentioning that if anyone is pressed for time and wants a decent brownie mix. Of course nothing beats all these great scratch recipes from Anna!

5. Sophia says

Like most everyone else I prefer fudgy brownies. But then the other day my friend bought me a cakey brownie at the lunch counter and it was really pretty good.
    I may have to make these.

6. Robyn says

I’ve made the King Arthur Best Ever Fudge Brownie recipe before, and it was WONDERFUL! I didn’t really find them to be overly cakey. I thought they were very gooey and fudgey, just like I like my brownies. I also had some leftover dark chocolate raspberry hershey’s kisses, so those went in along with my chocolate chips. You definitely have to use the chocolate chips. I think that’s part of what gives them their ooey, gooey, fudgieness. Also, I’ve generally found Dutch Process cocoa to be much darker and richer than most. It makes the best hot chocolate too! As with most brownie recipes, don’t overbake them, so they don’t dry out. DELICIOUS!!

Hi Robyn,

KA’s Best Ever Fudge Brownie recipe really is one of the best brownie recipes in the world. All your tips are on target. This particular recipe is different, though. This one was specifically designed to be cakey. The thing is, no one seems to like cakey brownies around here ;).

So I believe you are referring to a different recipe than this one. I just want to clarify that.

8. mamatruth says

Picture looked great. Found the brownies a little drier then expected. Was an okay recipe but will not be one to add to the box

p.s. I have another frosting recipe that is a bit like yours, except it calls for 5 tablespoons butter, 1/3 cup milk and 1 cup of sugar along with the chocolate chips. It isn’t a fluffy frosting, but more like a thick batter that sets up quickly into a fudgy frosting. Is yours supposed to be syrupy and then set up into a firmer frosting as it cools?

Yes, it is supposed to set up as it cools. I usually throw the brownies in the refrigerator to speed up the process.

I finally made it again today and it turned out much better. I guess the reason it didn’t work before was because I didn’t have cream and subbed milk and butter. It’s in the fridge cooling now.