(Easy) Caribbean Black Bean Soup

by on December 21, 2008 · 8 comments

Caribbean Black Bean Soup

I sometimes make it in the crockpot and add the chicken in at the end, but Southern Living does it the traditional way (which is how I usually make it).

If you want to make it vegan, just use vegetable broth and leave out the chicken.

Published on December 21, 2008

Lisa December 21, 2008 at 1:24 pm

Nice to see a soup recipe. I love black beans.

Katrina December 21, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Carribbean, huh. Hmmm. Gotta print this one.

Ginny December 21, 2008 at 2:42 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for some time and have decided it’s time for me to come out of lurkdom :)

I saw this recipe earlier in the fall on the website, read it through, thought “Hmm…this sounds really yummy, and that name sounds awfully familiar…”. But I didn’t put two and two together until today! Congrats, Anna. And thanks for the blog – it’s super informative and a connection to my former home in the great state of Texas.

Carole R. December 21, 2008 at 8:12 pm

Thanks, Anna. Cleveland is like the Artic tundra and a spicy, hot soup hits the dinner idea on the head

Sue December 22, 2008 at 9:44 am

Thanks for talking about this recipe. I think I’ll make it while the family vegetarian is home. It’s a little different than some of the other bean soups we make and it will be good to have the vegetarian and omnivore options.

Soup is always such a good option when it is so freaky cold!

runjess December 22, 2008 at 10:36 am

Looks delicious, and you still have 5 stars on MyRecipes.

CPB January 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Anna,
I made this soup a couple of weeks ago and forgot to tell you how much we liked it. I froze the leftovers; we ate them last night and it was a winner again. My kids especially like it. (Although they could do without the tomato chunks, but I think it’s good for their character and I like the tomato chunks!).

(BTW, in between the original and frozen leftovers, I made the bean soup that is on the cover of the current Southern Living and it wasn’t nearly as good as yours. In fact, we threw the rest of it away, which almost never happens in our house.)

CPB

Anna January 25, 2009 at 8:41 am

Hi Claudia,

Thanks for the feedback on the soup! I appreciate it. About the tomato chunks — my philosophy is the same as yours. Get the kids used to dealing with them and pretty soon they’ll start to miss them. They’ll probably grow up to love tomato junks.