Egg Free Pecan Pie

by on May 8, 2009 · 10 comments

Have you ever told somebody you’d bake them a cake and then forgotten about it? I woke up today and remembered I owed the school a Staff Appreciation cake and it was due in 2 ½ hours. Luckily, I was able to pull together a second lime bundt cake. Still, I felt guilty about forgetting and decided to bake another item. Pecan pie seemed like a good idea, but then I realized I was out of eggs. That’s how this pie came about.

If you’re wondering what a pecan pie without eggs looks like, here’s a specimen I snagged shortly after dropping the pie off.

pecan-pie-chunk

The filling is kind of pale and has a strong vanilla-maple flavor. The thickener is flour and you can kind of taste the starch, but it isn’t entirely horrible. I’d definitely make it again if I met someone with a recently diagnosed egg allergy who was sad about having to give up pecan pie.

Hopefully I can get a few more reviews when I go pick up the dirty dish.

Recipe is from The Pecan store via their post on Bakespace, but I made a few adjustments. One being, I baked it in a 9 inch pie plate. I’m not sure it would really fit in an 8 inch, which is what the recipe calls for. I also didn’t use vanilla bean or vanilla powder, but rather my every day Mexican vanilla.

egg-free-pecan-pie

“No Eggs” Pecan Pie

1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked
1 stick (114 grams) butter
1/2 cup (65 grams) all purpose flour
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 1/3 cup (250 grams) granulated sugar
1/2 cup very hot water
5 oz evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Some giant (Mammoth) pecans for decoration

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9 inch glass pie plate with crust.

In top of a heat-proof bowl set over a pot of boiling water, melt the butter. Reduce heat slightly and add the flour – stir until smooth; add the maple syrup and sugar. Stir gently, then stir in the water. Continue heating for about a minute to dissolve some of the sugar. Remove the bowl from over the pot and mix in evaporated milk, salt and vanilla extract. Finally, stir in the pecans. Pour mixture into pie shell and arrange pecan halves around the rim if desired

Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from the edge comes out clean.

Published on May 8, 2009

Katrina May 8, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Ooh, that looks good and without all the egg they’re lower in fat (I know, pecans have tons of fat and the butter, but still.) One of my mom’s favorite things is pecan pie!

Louise May 8, 2009 at 12:42 pm

The pie looks really good. Didn’t you just celebrate Staff Appreciation Day when you made Orange Cake? It seems to roll around really fast.

Anna May 8, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Katrina, I think all pecan pie is high in fat. If you cut the eggs, you just replace the egg-fat calories with butter-fat calories. It all comes down to portion control.

Louise, this was yet another staff appreciation event — specifically, a luncheon. We have staff appreciation things all year long, but at the end of the year the Staff Appreciation committee goes all out.

Yesterday the teachers went to lunch off campus and parent volunteers watched the classes. It was fun.

Sue May 8, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I think that’s really interesting! I hope someone gives you feedback.

I made your Easy and Good Oatmeal Raisin Cookies for my friend who hip surgery. He called today to tell me how much he enjoyed them and he doesn’t remember having an oatmeal raisin cookie that good. He’s not even sure that his mother’s were that good! This is a big compliment and I thought I should pass it along to you since it’s your recipe. Thanks!

HeartofGlass May 8, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Anna, you are too cool–you almost forget to make one thing, so your answer is to make two!

It would be interesting to make low-calorie pecan pie–but other than radically changing the components of it (like making it crustless or using Splenda) I can’t think of a way to do it!

Katrina May 8, 2009 at 10:25 pm

I know it is still high in fat, I just like to tell myself things like that. ;) If I ever make a pecan pie, believe me I would not be trying to see how I could cut fat and calories! ha

snooky doodle May 10, 2009 at 2:57 am

forgetting an order for a ckae is my nightmare. The pecan pie looks great and it s really interesting made without eggs. Great!

Sonia May 10, 2009 at 7:53 am

This is great, you know I’ve been trying to find recipes without eggs and milk (butter too) because of my allergies.
I can use margarine and soya milk, or goat butter and milk, but I’ve had troubles substituting the eggs.
Plus, I love pecans… so no doubt a must-try. However, what is evaporated milk? Might it be something like powder milk? I would have troubles in substituting it then…

I’ve been trying vegan recipes in the past few days but the only really good one was a shortcrust pastry fruit pie (I checked the name of the dictionary for this translation!) which I’ll definitely make again.

Jennifer December 25, 2010 at 11:29 am

Hi there, i have made your recipe of the pie 4 times since thanksgiving this year! its absolutely delicious. and the reason why i love your recipe is because my husband is allergic to eggs which stinks. and he LOVES pecan pie. when i saw your recipe, i was like this is perfect for him. HE LOVES IT! i have not shared anyone else your recipe because its soo good! thank you for your recipe. Merry Christmas!

nikkyPR February 18, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Ladies! Look up pecan pie recipe in Cooking Light.com I found a recipe using only 1/2 cup of pecans and instead using OATS!, and the mod’s I do are no butter (at all) and add bourbon and use the best vanilla (Nielsen Masey). This pecan pie is fantabulous!!! Try it with a scoop of So Delicious Vanilla Bean Ice Cream (coconut milk based ice cream due to dairy allergies). THe pie has a LOT less fat, and the ice cream is the same as eating a light version of regular ice cream. I am trying the egg free tomorrow though.