Friendly Kitchen Cookie

by on May 21, 2009 · 6 comments

I liked this one a lot because it was a little thicker, denser and less sweet. Would be great with coconut, but I left it out this time.

friendly-kitchen-cookies

Friendly Kitchen Cookies

8 oz unsalted butter (230 grams)
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar (240 grams)
1/2 cup brown sugar (100 grams)
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon milk, soy or regular milk (30 ml)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour (220 grams)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sea salt (if you’re using salted butter, skip this)
3 cups rolled oats (300 grams)
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (80 grams) — optional
Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Cream the butter and the sugars with an electric mixer until light. Beat in the egg, then the milk and the vanilla extract.

Stir the flour, baking soda and salt together and gradually stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until it’s incorporated. Stir in the oats chocolate chips and coconut (if using).

Drop dough, making 1 inch rounds, onto the cookie sheet, placing about 1 1/2 inches apart so they have room to spread.

Bake on center rack for 10 minutes, until golden brown at the edges and light golden at the center.
Cool on baking sheet for at least 1-2 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely

Published on May 21, 2009

Elyse May 21, 2009 at 6:04 pm

Ooo, I can’t wait to try these with the coconut. These cookies look thick and delicious. I love that they’ve got such wonderful textures going on. Man oh man, you’re making me crave some cookies!

Carol A, May 24, 2009 at 9:43 am

I made these yesterday, with a few tweaks:

Flour: half AP, half white whole wheat
Sugar: 1 cup brown, 3/4 cup white

I split the wet and dry ingredients in half, and added coconut to one half and a chai spice mix to the other half. The spice half needed more flour, not sure how much I used – less than 1/4 cup, I think.

The coconut batch came out thicker, the spice half spread a bit but still thick and hearty. I can taste the coconut even more today (yes, I had one for breakfast :-)).

Great cookies, great texture! Hey, I guess my sugar tweak leans a little towards the Frog’s Commissary recipe, so maybe mine are “Friendly Frog Cookies”?

Carol A, May 25, 2009 at 12:49 pm

Forget to mention, I also accidentally put the first tray in the oven without adding chocolate chips. I added them to the rest of the batter – but the coconut ones especially are also really, really good without the chips.

Donna January 18, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I made a half batch of these yesterday for a dinner party, and the one egg I was supposed to add had two yolks in it! So creepy. But the cookies were delicious even with the extra yolk. I added about a third cup of dried goji berries too, and they were a hit.

Anna January 18, 2010 at 11:27 pm

I’m pretty sure a double yolk means “good luck”. Glad you liked the cookies :)

Sue June 27, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Made these today and liked them a lot!! I like that they’re a little less sweet than the Frog Commissary cookies. But I have to say I liked those quite a lot too.