If a tropical island vacation sounds good right now, here’s a recipe to help take you on one — at least in your mind. This is a wonderful and easy coconut cream pie with half & half and other ingredients that are usually in the kitchen. Of course that’s a very subjective statement since what’s in your kitchen is probably different from what’s in mine, but check out the ingredient list. You may be able to make it right now.
This coconut cream pie is made with half and half. I think I like it even better than all the other gazillion versions I’ve tried, though I guess that’s not fair to say without a side-by-side taste test. Either way, this one is very tasty AND pretty convenient. If you don’t have the coconut extract, you can leave it out, increase the vanilla, and still have a very authentic and flavorful pie.
For the crust, use store bought or a pre-baked homemade crust. My favorite homemade crust is Baked All Butter Pie Crust.
Coconut Cream Pie with Half & Half
- 9 inch pie crust baked
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 tablespoons butter cut into chunks
- 1 pinch of salt -- slightly bigger pinch if using unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon good quality coconut extract
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or just 1 cup
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar or 3 T.
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract** or 1 teaspoon
- In a heavy saucepan off heat, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks.
- Gradually whisk in the half & half, then put the pan over medium heat. Continue whisking until mixture starts to boil, then continue whisking as it boils for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and whisk in the butter, salt, both extracts and the coconut. Put in a bowl, press a piece of greased wax or parchment paper over to keep skin from forming and let cool to room temperature. When cool, transfer to your baked pie shell and chill.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form, then add powdered sugar and beat until stiff. Beat in vanilla. Pipe or spread over the pie.
- If you have some additional coconut, toast it in a dry skillet, let cool and sprinkle over the top for garnish.