Nothing Wakes You Up Like…

by on May 3, 2009 · 10 comments

a discussion on baking powder.

I missed the post last year, but ran across it today while trying to determin if Italian “cake powder” is the same as American baking powder.  The link didn’t answer my question, but it was a good brush-up on the differences between brands of compositions.

Published on May 3, 2009

Sue May 3, 2009 at 7:40 am

Good morning!
I can’t remember why but awhile ago I switched to aluminum free baking powder and I was really surprised at how much difference it makes in baked goods. I bought the Rumford brand. I think things taste better with this than the kind I used to buy. My husband and kids noticed a difference too.
Good luck finding the information you’re looking for on cake powder vs. baking powder!

Louise May 3, 2009 at 9:21 am

Anna — I think I told you my husband is a retired metallurgical engineer. His specialty was coated sheet, most recently automotive and building material, but long ago he did research for the tin mill. That’s beer and food cans to you. You can taste metal if it’s something like one part per million. That’s why beer tastes better out of a bottle. And why there’s coatings inside cans. There’s more to it, but you don’t want to hear the whole thing. But it makes total sense that there would be a taste difference with aluminum free baking powder.

johngl May 3, 2009 at 11:12 am

I feel a bit doltish. I never paid much attention to this before. I may just switch to the homemade variety since I always have those materials on hand anyway.

Thanks for the link!

Pearl May 3, 2009 at 11:12 am

ooh that sounds like a very cool link. thank you.

snooky doodle May 3, 2009 at 12:07 pm

really interesting :)

Katrina May 3, 2009 at 1:27 pm

My mom told me about this a few years ago, now I only buy Calumet.

Elyse May 3, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I’m so glad you linked to this. Any discussion of baking powder is great by me. I love learning about baking science.

Shandy May 4, 2009 at 12:56 am

Thank you for the weblink for baking powder. I used to use Rumford and now I am going to switch back.

BTW, the croissant recipe is super simple to try if you would ever like to. I was shocked and the flavor was fantastic. Thank you for the comment =), Shandy

Katrina May 4, 2009 at 1:39 pm

I meant Runford, it’s the one that is aluminum free.

Anna May 4, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I figured you meant Rumford, since Calumet is the one with the aluminum. Though deep down I was kind of hoping you and your mom had a secret reason for buying baking powder WITH aluminum.