Ice Cream Cone Cupcake Report Plus New Recipe

by on June 2, 2009 · 12 comments

Despite the fact it started with a trip to the dentist, today has been busy and fun. I baked a million cupcakes, hung out with the second graders, and am about to go shopping for craft supplies. I’m in a pretty good mood and it’s probably because of the ice cream cone cupcakes. The kids were impressed and their teacher hadn’t seen cupcakes like them either.

cupcake-cones-for-class

About the recipe, I decided to try one from“Joy the Baker”. Joy, who must have a lot of friends, baked these for a big crowd and made a double batch; the recipe below will give you about 24. Are they as good as the previous cupcakes? Yes! But they are different. They’re definitely softer, lighter crumbed and moist. I used a tiny bit more salt than Joy, but that’s about it.

Comparing the two cupcakes back to back, I’d say they are both perfectly good recipes. The first one is easier, but denser and kind of reminds me of a Hostess cupcake. The second one (this one) is more sophisticated and more like a bake shop cupcake. But both are good and the first one just happens to be easier and less expensive.

cupcake-cone-on-black

So here’s the recipe. The frosting is an old one adapted from CI.

Also, about the tops. Yesterday I built the tops up with a giant marshmallow. Today I did a few with the marshmallow and others with cup up cake. To build the top with cut-up cake, bake a few of the cupcakes in regular cupcake wrappers, cut them into quarters, then “glue” the quarters onto the top with extra icing. Let the icing set a bit, then rub more icing all over the sides.

Joy’s Chocolate Cupcakes

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (165 grams)
6 tablespoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder (30 grams)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (2ml)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (288 grams)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (114 grams)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
2/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup strong coffee, cooled (120 ml)

Frosting
8 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (230 grams)
3/4 cup (180 ml) heavy cream
8 oz unsalted butter (1 stick), cut into chunks (230 grams)
1/4 cup light corn syrup (60 ml) – can use Golden Syrup instead
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 to 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C). Have ready two dozen paper lined cupcake cups or 24 ice cream cones.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt and set aside.

Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each egg. Scrape bowl. Beat in the vanilla. Gradually add the flour mixture in three parts, alternating with the sour cream and scraping sides of bowl.

Slowly add the cooled coffee to the batter, stirring with a mixing spoon until smooth. Beat with the spoon for about a minute or until you don’t see lumps.

Pour into cupcake papers and bake on middle rack for 15-22 minutes (ice cream cones take 20-22), or until a pick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.

Remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool to room temperature on wire racks.

Chocolate Frosting:

Place the chopped chocolate in bowl of a stand mixer.

Heat cream in a saucepan or in a microwave-safe measuring cup just until it starts to bubble. Pour the hot cream slowly over the chopped chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted and glossy. Let the chocolate cool to room temperature. This usually takes at least 30 minutes.

When chocolate is at room temperature, add the butter, syrup and vanilla and stir to combined. Stir in ¼ cup of the powdered sugar and beat, using the whip attachment and scraping often, for about 3 minutes. Taste test for sweetness and add remaining sugar if you feel it needs it.

At this point the icing is usually a little too soft for my liking so I remove the stand mixer bowl from the mixer and chill it for 30 minutes. This firms up the mixture, but in order to spread it you will need to put it back on the stand mixer and whip it again to soften.

If you accidentally overbeat it, just add a little more cream. If you accidentally chill it too long and the icing gets hard or grainy looking, add a little warm cream and let the icing come to room temperature.

Published on June 2, 2009

dawn June 2, 2009 at 4:50 pm

busy day indeed! I got tired just reading all that.
but good to hear the success of the cupcakes, we all knew they would be though.

Josie A-G June 2, 2009 at 5:30 pm

okay– these are fantastic. i’m just catching up on my cookie madness now and am so impressed!

Crystal June 2, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I love these and we picked up a box of cones when we already had one, so I really need to make a batch of these. Question for ya though, how the heck do you transport them to Fuzz’s school??!! My DS’s bday is June 21st and his class would LOVE these!

Anna June 2, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Crystal, I thought balancing them in a bunch of dried jelly beans might help, but all I had was pinto beans and they didn’t work so well. I ended up squishing all together in a big casserole dish and then putting that whole dish into a plastic crate. Transporting them is a pain. I need to come up with a better way. Some people use washed out egg cartons, but I don’t feel comfortable recommending that.

Rachel June 2, 2009 at 10:37 pm

AK went on and on and on about these tonight. She was in absolute awe! :)

Anna June 2, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Ha! Too cute about AK.

What was funny was some kids got cupcakes with marshmallows and others got cupcakes with cake. The kids with the marshmallows were really happy about getting the marshmallows while the kids who got the extra cake joked about not getting marshmallows and wanting them. So next time I might do all marshmallows.

I also wish I’d made some vanilla ones because one person didn’t eat chocolate.

Kate June 3, 2009 at 6:58 am

Thanks, Anna! I’ve made these a few times for kids birthdays, even piping the icing to make it look like soft serve. My son wanted them for his b-day tomorrow, but I just couldn’t bear the thought of all that icing. The marshmallows are a perfect solution. You are brilliant!

Now if we can just get them there unscathed…

Crystal June 3, 2009 at 7:54 am

Hmmm I could cut out the egg holes and I bet they would stand well in there!! At our ice cream places they have the trays that the cones go through and the bottom hangs out, but you can only get I think 4 or 5 cones in each tray, so you’d still need a way to transport multiples. With the egg cartons you’d only need 2!!

Mary Ann June 3, 2009 at 9:08 am

We heard all about the fun after school yesterday, and Jonas loved the cupcake cones, Anna. Happy birthday to your rising third grader!

LilSis June 3, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Hey Anna,
I also started my day at the dentist, but didn’t exactly leave in a good mood!

I love these cupcakes! I wonder if my 16 year old would mind if I made these for his birthday party? I bet his friends would love them!

You know what would be a cool way to transport them? If you could get your hands on some of those cup holders that they give you at the drive thru windows. Granted, they only hold four each, but those could sit down inside a bigger box. Just a thought…

Maurea Williamson June 20, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Has anyone come up with a way to hold and display them. I thought i saw a tiered holder for them but can’t remember where. thanks

Jenny Clarke September 11, 2010 at 8:40 am

This is where you can find the holders for these and bake them in them.. Hope this helps you girls..