Ultimate Vanilla Cupcakes is an easy back of the box cupcake recipe from McCormick Extra Rich Pure Vanilla. Like most back of the box recipes, this one is very simple. In fact, it's a "dump and stir" recipe which means you just put everything in a bowl and mix it up. Nice!
Extra Rich Pure Vanilla Ultimate Cupcake Recipe
I don't know if Extra Rich Pure Vanilla is a new McCormick product or if it's just one of the items I've found in Chicago that I couldn't find in Austin, but both the vanilla and this recipe were new to me. I was hoping the cupcakes would have the same moist texture as cupcake shop cupcakes. Thanks to all the eggs and sour cream, they did. They weren't gritty with a cornbread texture like many scratch yellow cakes tend to be.
The recipe makes 12 cupcakes, and that's handy for days when you're making a variety of flavors. You can whip up some chocolate cupcakes and maybe some carrot cupcakes, then throw in 12 of these, which in my opinion, live up to their name in terms of flavor. Whether or not you like the texture is subjective, but it's a fact these "ultimate" vanilla cupcakes have a good kick of vanilla. I'd definitely make them again.
Ultimate Vanilla Cupcakes
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (160 grams)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (200 grams)
- ½ cup sour cream (120 grams)
- ¼ cup ½ stick butter, melted (make sure to use salted!) (56 grams)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
Whipped Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
- ¾ cup butter, softened (1 ½ sticks or 12 T.) (170 grams)
- 2 teaspoons McCormick® Extra Rich Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar (360 grams) -- use more or less as needed
- 4 to 5 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat with a mixer on low speed just to moisten (or do this part by hand). Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter evenly between the 12 cups.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until tops spring spring back when touched. Cool in pan 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
- Whipped Vanilla Buttercream: Beat the butter and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually add confectioners’ sugar, beating well and scraping bowl occasionally.
- Add milk and beat until light and fluffy.