Boudin Bakery Brownies

by on September 11, 2009 · 14 comments

I was too caught up in banana brownies to try this recipe, but LA Times says it was one of the most emailed news items last week.

Boudin Bakery Brownies

Published on September 11, 2009

Katrina September 11, 2009 at 10:00 am

I saw this one yesterday and thought of you with the shiny, crackly topped, fudgy looking brownies!

Dolce September 11, 2009 at 11:08 am

I guess the egg amount has something to do with the fudginess, 5 eggs!!

Sue September 11, 2009 at 11:22 am

It’s interesting that they specifically call for a glass pan to bake them. They look fudgy on the inside and almost crunchy on the top! No doubt they’re good!

gloria September 11, 2009 at 12:39 pm

I quickly looked over the recipe to see the differences between these and the Minnesota State fair chocolate banana brownies. This recipe has more eggs, more butter, more sugar, and less chocolate if you compare the same size batch. Sometimes more eggs makes brownies more cakey. They also look a little more cakey and that is good if you like more cakey brownies. I am curious to know what you think if you make them Anna!!

Pam September 11, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I compared the recipe to some I’ve used also, and it seems like this one doesn’t have enough flour compared to the rest of the ingredients. Now I’m really curious about it.

Louise September 11, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I compared it to Ina Garten’s Outrageous Brownies and this one has way too much sugar and not nearly enough chocolate. Probably great bakery brownies. I still have too many others from my “origin of brownies” research to try.

Anna September 11, 2009 at 12:58 pm

This is why I love you guys! I was thinking the same thing — too eggy, too sweet, what’s up with the glass pan? Probably needs more flour. Still curious, though.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make them today, though. I laid out all the ingredients for Food and Wine’s Red Wine Cake.

Kristen September 11, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Ditto on the chocolate. This is just a basic brownie recipe. Mine has far more chocolate. I agree about the glass pan though. Just works better. Also, the most important part of any brownie is not overcooking it.

Emily September 11, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Yes, I agree; more chocolate and more flour. 3 cups of sugar does seem like an awful lot. I don’t know about the eggs though… maybe having a lot of eggs is what makes these so good?

C L September 12, 2009 at 1:18 pm

3 cups of sugar??! My teeth ache thinking it about it. I really want to try this, as I seldom met a brownie I didn’t like, but….I’m not sure about this one. The recipe I usually use is plenty sweet, and it has half that amount. Must admit the Red Wine Cake is sounding quite tempting, though. :)

kimberlee September 15, 2009 at 11:39 am

The ingredients make these an “off limits!” recipe. :( I know life is short and blahblahblah, but I don’t want to try something I won’t be able to resist. I cannot eat “just one.” Moderation is not in my vocab. So I’ll be trying the other brownies! Thanks for sharing all the recipes! :)

krista September 17, 2009 at 4:17 pm

i made these yesterday – they are yummy! but mine ended up with a really crunchy top layer that separated from the rest of the brownie… it was almost meringue-like… strange. not sure if i did something wrong… next time i think i will add the sugar into the melted butter/chocolate mixture and see if they come out with a shiny top!

krista September 17, 2009 at 4:19 pm

oh, and they weren’t too sweet – i used chocolate with 70% cocoa

Anna September 17, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Krista, I like brownies with a crunchy top so I’ll have to try these. Thanks for giving the chocolate percentage.

Now that you’ve made these, you should try Artpark brownies (if you haven’t already).