Italian Amaretto Cake from the Austin Statesman

by on April 29, 2010 · 9 comments

This cake was mentioned in the comment section by Kath, who said it was her favorite but that she didn’t have the recipe. I was so excited about trying an Amaretto laced Italian Cream Cake, that I emailed long time Austin Statesman food editor, Kitty Crider. I suspected she’d have the recipe, and she did. She said this cake was a winner in the 1996 “Christmas Cookin’” contest and that it was very popular with readers.

There’s a bigĀ Italian Cream Cake in our refrigerator at the moment and I can’t try this quite yet, but if you make it let us know. When I make it, I’ll post a photo and add some notes.

ITALIAN AMARETTO CAKE

5 eggs, separated
2 1/2 cups sugar, divided use
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon each vanilla and coconut extracts
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup amaretto
3 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup coconut

Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Slowly add 1/2 cup of the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside.

Cream butter, the remaining sugar, salt, baking powder, and extracts; add the yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each.

Stir baking soda into buttermilk. Alternately, add buttermilk and amaretto with flour to the creamed butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Fold in egg white mixture, then pecans and coconut.

Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans. Bake in a 325-degree oven for about 40 minutes or until cakes test done. Remove from oven and cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks. Fill and frost cake.

ITALIAN CREAM CHEESE FROSTING

3/4 cup butter, softened
12 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
4-5 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup amaretto

Cream the butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Gradually add powdered sugar and amaretto and beat until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Fill and frost cake, and store in refrigerator.

– Marsha Wallace Lawson, Pflugerville

Published on April 29, 2010

Debbi April 29, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Wow! I LOVE amaretto and this sounds fantastic! I can’t wait to see photos.

janet April 29, 2010 at 6:42 pm

This looks delicious! I’ll put it in my stash and make when I am going to a party…..it would be way too much for me to eat alone!

Martha in KS April 29, 2010 at 6:52 pm

When I owned a restaurant, I made icing for carrot cake using amaretto-flavored Neuchaftel cheese, which I bought in 3 lb. blocks. I haven’t seen it anywhere else, and have added Amaretto to icing to try to duplicate the flavor. This cake looks delicious!

Fallon April 29, 2010 at 7:00 pm

Ooo delicious!

Sue April 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

All butter, and amaretto! How bad can that be!? :-) Can’t wait to hear the results of that!

Emily April 30, 2010 at 1:06 am

Oh man, does that sound good! I’d love to try it someday.

I think I’m going to try your “Funfetti” cupcakes this weekend for a birthday party. I’m so glad there’s a copycat recipe out there.

Pam Shank April 30, 2010 at 7:49 am

oh my gosh, Anna,I already have the butter out and was going to make the other cake but I do think this one sounds even more delicious. I have used amaretto in some other baking and really like it. gotta go for this cake now!

Michelle Dubuke May 9, 2010 at 7:50 pm

This cake was PHENOMENAL!!! I made it for a bbq that I went to this past weekend, and it was an absolute hit. One thing… I think I might half or quarter the recipe next time I make it. this was a BIG freaking cake!!

Anna May 10, 2010 at 7:45 am

Michelle, thanks for the review! I want to try this one as well. Unless I end up making it for an event, I may just make a half cake.