Outrageous Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

Happy National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day!  To celebrate, here’s a blast from the past — Outrageous Chocolate Chip Cookies.  It’s an old recipe from allrecipes.com with an interesting balance of ingredients. The peanut butter flavor isn’t very strong, but it’s certainly detectable.  As for the oats, there are just enough of them to give the cookies some bumpiness. The end results is a chewy, fairly soft, not-too-thick, lumpy, chocolate chip cookie.

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

Having pulled this cookie out of the vault, I want to keep it on the forefront and try making it with some different nut butters. I think almond butter would be good, or maybe even cashew butter.  And one of these days I’m going to buy a jar of Sun Butter.  I’ve never tried it, but I think a Sun Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie would be pretty good

Outrageous Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt (use ¼ if using salted butter)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup rolled oats

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream both sugars and butter. Beat in peanut butter, vanilla and egg. Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to batter and stir until incorporated. Stir in oats and chips. Drop by tablespoons on to lightly greased (or parchment lined) cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes.
Let sit on cookie sheet for about 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies

Comments

I was just going to email you to make sure you knew it was CC Day and decided to check your blog first. I knew you’d know!
    Great looking cookies!

I’m printing the recipe and hope to bake these today. Did you really only use 1 c. of chocolate chips? They look like they have more chocolate than that.

3. Amy D says

This is freaky–I randomly made these earlier in the week. I found the recipe on my Allrecipe spinner iphone app.

Debbi, I’ll have to see which one you chose.

Katrina, thanks for watching my back. Luckily I saw it on Twitter….otherwise I would have forgotten.

John, good to see you! Hope all is well.

Sue, it was approximately a cup. I am not very methodical when measuring chocolate chips.

Amy, that’s so funny. I found the recipe when I was looking through my old files. The spinner ap sounds pretty cool. One of these days I’ll get an iPhone.

5. Cindy says

Is there a list of all the national cookie days somewhere? Or do I need to make one…

6. Mary says

had to bake a batch and they are “outrageous”…i added raisins and walnuts…

7. Kris says

This is my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipe, gets raves every time, been making it for years!

8. Karla H says

I just made these and added toffee bits to the recipe. they turned out really yummy!

9. CynthiaR says

Making these for graduation party. They are awesome! Chocolate and peanut butter – who could go wrong? Thanks for posting. Keep Austin Weird – CRR