Chocolate Malt Sandwich Cookies

by on September 14, 2010 · 14 comments

Our first Girl Scout meeting was a success, and so were the Malted Chocolate Chip Cookies. I set them out on a plate and then baked up a quick batch of Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies as a non-chocolate alternative. The girls appreciated the cookies, and one future baker asked for the recipe. We had a lot to do, so I waited until the end of the meeting then ran upstairs and printed out a copy of the Malted Chocolate Chip recipe. When I handed it over to her she looked at me and said “No, I wanted the recipe for those sugar cookies.” I showed her the packaging. Her mom looked relieved.

Malted Sandwich Cookies

So that’s my story, the point of which is never go out of your way to bake from scratch. Just kidding. A little dark humor for today to match my mood. Now how about some dark cookies? I made these for myself, but will of course share the leftovers with my friends at Todd’s office. The last time I sent these (a loooooong time ago), people went nuts.

These are very dark and chocolaty and have a good bit of malt flavor. When chilled, they become very sturdy so you can easily wrap them in cellophane or stick them in a (Halloween?) goody bag. They’d alse be great with Halloween sprinkles, which I’m starting to see here and there.

Chocolate Malt Sandwich Cookie Recipe Here

Published on September 14, 2010

Sue September 14, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I wish I had one of these to enjoy right now!! They look and sound wonderful.

Love the story about the little girl and the recipe for the sugar cookies. :-)

Lisa Ernst September 14, 2010 at 2:27 pm

These cookies look delicious. The filling is especially appealing. I’ve actually never made a sandwich cookie before, but these might be a change catalyst. LOL

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy September 14, 2010 at 3:07 pm

I think that’s funny about the sugar cookies! I’m telling you though – I’ve gotten lots of compliments for store bought cookie dough – probably more than homemade! I guess it’s hard to copy that taste that everyone loves!

Jennifer September 14, 2010 at 3:20 pm

LOL about the sugar cookies. For a long time my kids thought that “store bought” treats had some kind of cache. Now that they are teenagers, thankfully, the prefer homemade!

beth September 14, 2010 at 3:23 pm

I only have the chocolaty Ovaltine in my pantry. Can I use that in place of the malt powder? I can’t wait to find me some of those Pumpkin Pop Tarts. I agree 100 with you, toasting is a must. Thanks!

beth

Steph@PlainChicken September 14, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Those look good! I’d really like one right now – a 4:00 pick me up would be good!

Anna September 14, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Beth, regular Ovaltine would be okay but I think the chocolate flavored type might be overkill.

Camille September 14, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Oh my gosh, these look sinfully delicious!

Donna September 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

your coffee mug makes me laugh! very cute.

Betty @ scrambled hen fruit September 14, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I love the sugar cookie story. :) Those cookies look good too. I love the flavor of malt!

melissa September 14, 2010 at 10:23 pm

So funny about the sugar cookies…Kids.

These malt cookies look great! We just got a container of Ovaltine for J (they were out of the double chocolate). He would love these cookies (as would Denis). I bet they are good even without the filling, they look so chocolate-y and moist.

Jessica September 15, 2010 at 11:53 am

ohhh my god those look like cakesters!

Cookie Sleuth September 15, 2010 at 10:50 pm

I love how soft these look. They look almost like Little Debbie Fudge Rounds!

Tracy September 19, 2010 at 11:09 am

Tee hee about the recipe … I find kids seem to love that packaged stuff. My kids’ favorite Christmas cookies for years (maybe even now) are the sugar cookie tubes with pictures in the middle. Maybe they test market on kids.