Happy Memorial Day!
I hope you are enjoying the holiday with family and friends, and if you’re traveling, be safe.
For those of you at home baking as usual, here’s a recipe to add to your muffin collection. It’s designed for a small size 6 muffin cup pan, but you can always double it.
- Small Batch Maple Bran Muffins
- 3/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons buttermilk or sour milk – I used sour
- 1 generous cup bran cereal (All Bran)
- 1/2 cup (2.4 oz) white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6 cup muffin cup with cooking spray or grease it well.
- Combine the buttermilk and bran cereal; let stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until cereal is softened.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- Stir egg, brown sugar, maple syrup and oil into bran mixture. Add flour mixture to bran mixture; stir just until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups and cool completely.
- Drizzle with Maple Icing. Maple Icing: In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon melted butter with 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar and enough milk to make a drizzling consistency. Add 1/4 teaspoon maple flavoring and stir until smooth.