Baby Ruth Cookies

Baby Ruth bars used to be everywhere — at the grocery store, gas station, car wash vending machine and the bait store near my granddad’s house, right between the Lance Crackers and the Chick-o-Sticks. Acquiring the Baby Ruth for this cookie recipe was about as challenging as as finding Skor Bars, and like the Skor Bars, the place we ended up finding the candy was the drugstore. As for the recipe, my mother gave me this and had no idea of its source. I looked it up and according to the Taste of Home bulletin board, it’s from the back of an old Baby Ruth bar wrapper from the ’50s.

Baby Ruth Cookies

The version I used did not have an egg, but after doing some comparisons, most versions DO have an egg and I’m assuming the one on the wrapper did too.

Despite the missing egg, they were okay. I would have enjoyed them more if a) the candy hadn’t leaked out all over my lined pan and b) I hadn’t done so much “quality checking” with my ingredients. Eating the ingredients as I bake has become a bad habit, and now by the time I’m done baking, the cookies aren’t as appealing. These cookies were much tastier a few hours later after they’d cooled completely.

If you have some Baby Ruth candy on hand, love extra chewy cookies and are curious, then I recommend the recipe. If you make it, chop the Baby Ruth bars into very small bits and make sure to work them completely into the dough. Mine melted all over the place because I cut the candy into big chunks and some of them were sitting right on top of the balls of dough.

Here’s an updated link to what appears to be closer to the original recipe. I think the cookies will be better with the egg.

Chicago Tribune Version

Comments

1. Liz says

Wow it’s good to know I’m not the only one that eats to much of the ingredients while baking and then the cookies seem not good when they are finished. Of course a day later they taste great! I just need to not be such a piggy while baking!

I’ve actually never had a Baby Ruth, I see them around occaisionally, but they’re not widely available in Canada. They sound pretty good though, and as I am unaware of a Canadian equivalanet, I think I might have to visit a specialty shop to pick some up :).
    I have a similar problem with eating ingredients whenever they’re bite sized. I also have a tendency to eat a raw batter and cookie dough… one for the bowl and one for me; one for the bowl… etc… etc.. :)

Baby Ruth has always been one of my favorites. I think the fun size bars are available in bags, for sure at Halloween, but I think at least here they have them in the candy aisle all the time. I think you should have just put a whole candy bar in the middle of one giant log cookie. ;) jk

4. Paula B. says

Haven’t seen Baby Ruth bars in forever but do see the Skor bars (maybe they are made locally?). The cookies look delicious. Funny story, I was in Ireland back in the eighties, at relatives and there was another Irish family also visiting, who had a baby named Ruth. The mom kept referring to her as “baby Ruth”. My cousin and I would enjoy this immensely (she’a American), and finally had to let the mother in on the joke. She was fascinated that there was a candy bar out there, and of course I had to tell her the legend of the name, supposedly in honor of a president’s little daughter!

I think you can buy Baby Ruth bars on ebay…I used to buy dark chocolate Kit Kat bars on ebay from Canadian vendors before they were available in MN. I like your imagination…how can a good candy bar married to a cookie be bad??

6. Amy says

I was just going through some of my magazines from the fifties and sixties, and I spotted this recipe in an ad! These sound delicious.

7. Trish Ann says

My brother used to make them when I was a little girl. I always loved them and begged him to make more.