German Chocolate Cookies

If you’re craving German Chocolate but don’t have time to make a cake, why not make a cookie version?  A few years ago I baked a German Chocolate Brownie Cookie. It was good, but I wanted to try something a little less time consuming (no glaze) and was happy to stumble upon this recipe.

German Chocolate Cookie

The recipe is Catherine Newman’s German Chocolate Cookies, and I chose it because I liked that it called for a full 2 cups of toasted coconut, grated or very finely chopped chocolate, plenty of pecans, and a little corn syrup to keep it chewy. It did call for salted butter, which I didn’t’ have, but other than the one minor change of using unsalted butter (surprisingly, the cookies had just the right level of saltiness even without the salted butter), I didn’t change it enough to justify re-typing.

Incidentally, I was perusing the Disney Family recipe database and found an old one I’d created 7 years ago for Eating Well magazine. I’d like to slap my name on it in big, flashy, proprietary letters, but I lost that privilege by surrendering it over to a magazine. It won nothing more than an honorable mention, but people must like it because I see it all over the place.

Anna’s Blueberry White Chunk Cookie from an Eating Well Contest in 2004 .

Comments

1. Carol says

Anna,

These both look good. My cookie mojo has not been so great lately. Maybe one of these recipes will turn it around. I LOVE german chocolate cake and I have made a German chocolate pie before that was really good.

German Chocolate Cake is one of my favorite things. Having it in a simple cookie (or brownie!) is so brilliant. Heading over to check out your blueberry cookies now too. Hoping the “white” refers to white chocolate since I do so love blueberries and white chocolate together.

I like the finely chopped chocolate in cookies. So they are chewy, not crispy?
    You didn’t even get your name on the blueberry cookies posted? Those look good, too. I have dried tart cherries, that sounds good, too.

Eating Well’s website has (11) 5 star reviews for your Blueberry White Chocolate Chunk ginger cookies. Everyone loved them! I don’t care for German Chocolate cake, but the cookies look good!

Katrina, they credited the finalists in the magazine 7 years ago, but the cookies don’t have the credit in their database. Actually, a lot of contest winners procured by magazines/brands don’t credit the winner. Some do, some don’t.

6. C L says

These sound delicious and like just the ticket to send to my uncle whose favorite cake is German Chocolate. Your Eating Well cookie also sounds yummy too…I must try those as well. :)

7. Cathy V says

I am so glad to see both of these recipes! Sam’s club use to sell a cookie that i always insisted tasted just like the frosting from German chocolate cake. Now of course they don’t make them anymore so i actually squealed when I saw this! Can’t wait to try them thanks!!

8. Angela says

Anna, I’ve made that exact recipe from Eating Well’s website!! It was a couple of years ago, for a bake sale, but I do remember them getting rave reviews. I should’ve guessed they were from the author of my fav dessert blog ;) What a small world this has become!

9. Mary Ann says

Anna, thank you for introducing me to the German Chocolate cookie recipe. I made them today and they are excellent. German Chocolate cake is my daughter’s favorite but I am going to bake these for her birthday this year instead of the cake. I really enjoy your blog.