This recipe for Chocolate Coconut Crunchers was a winner in the 1994 Bake-off contest. It was created by a former WAC named Betty, who used her prize money to buy a car which she named “The Chocolate Coconut Cruncher”. Every time I come across this recipe I picture Betty cruising down the highway in The Cruncher, so I figured it was high time to try the cookies.
I had half a box of cake mix (Devils Food) that needed using and decided to make a half batch. A half batch was still 30 cookies, so I changed my mind and scaled the recipe down even more to make 15 cookies. Things worked out well.
Using a 1/4 of a box of cake mix isn’t as ridiculous as it sounds because you can always use the rest of the cake mix in other things…..such as more cookies. I measured the cake mix after I weighed it and ¼ box ( 4.5625 oz) was about 1 cup plus ½ tablespoon.
Update: This recipe might need some adjustment, as the amount of cake mix in 1 box has changed.
Chocolate Coconut Crunchers
- 18.25 oz German Chocolate Cake Mix See Note
- 2 sticks 8 oz salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts pecan
- 1 cup crushed corn flakes cereal or other cereal flakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 11/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cake mix, butter and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Add coconut, walnuts, corn flakes, rolled oats and chocolate chips; mix well.
- Drop dough by tablespoons onto ungreased or foil lined cookie sheets. Flatten with glass dipped in sugar.
I’m a huge coconut fan, but alas, my husband is not. =( Do you think I could just leave it out, or should I substitute it with something?
Is there a more blissful combination than chocolate and coconut? I submit that there is not. Nicely done, keep up the good work!! 🙂
The cookies look great. I ahve never heard of using a cake mix for cookies before though – I may have to try it for myself.
Catherine and JEP, I feel the same way about small amounts — fifteen cookies is the perfect amount…unless there’s a bake-sale or something.
These are some fine looking cookies! btw–I also like your “smaller amounts recipes”!
Very good and clever recipe. And I especially like the smaller batch you came up with…I mean, that’s ALL I really need in this house! Big batches give me stress about who to give them to! Love the image of “The Cruncher” – hilarious!