Today’s recipe is a twist on Nutella Lava Cookies, only instead of adding toasted hazelnuts, you add a tiny bit of hazelnut extract and a topping of peanut butter and chocolate hazelnut spread.
Since I’ve been trying to use up the new Jif chocolate hazelnut spread I bought a few weeks ago (and love), I substituted that for the Nutella. You can use whatever type of spread you want, but the brand I used today worked really well and melted into the peanut butter topping quite nicely. Normally I don’t like gooey cookies and prefer to eat them set rather than warm, but these were actually quite good while warm. If you need to pack them up or just want a less gooey cookie, put them in the refrigerator to chill and set.
- 3 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter
- 1 cup (170 grams) semi-sweet or extra dark chocolate chips
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup (65 grams) granulated sugar
- 1/2 scant teaspoon (a little less than 2 ml) salt
- 3/4 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of hazelnut extract (or use vanilla)
- 1/2 cup (63 grams) lightly spooned and leveled flour
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) baking powder
- 8 teaspoons Jif Chocolate Hazelnut Spread, use more or less as needed
- 8 teaspoons peanut butter, more or less as needed
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and stir in chocolate chips. Stir until melted; remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Beat the egg, sugar, salt and both extracts in a medium bowl for about 2 minutes using high speed of an electric hand-held mixer. Beat in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Thoroughly stir together the flour and baking powder, then stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture and nuts. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for an hour or more.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Working one at a time, scoop up generous heaping tablespoons of dough and shape into a mounds a little larger than a golf ball. Press a hole into the mound and stuff it with a teaspoon of chilled chocolate hazelnut spread. Seal the hole with some more dough.
- Place dough balls about 3 inches apart on lined baking sheet. Bake cookies one sheet at a time for exactly 12 minutes.
- Remove cookies from oven and immediately top with dots of peanut butter. Let it sit on the hot cookies and melt. Dot the peanut butter topping with a little more hazelnut spread. Let cool completely on the baking sheets, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. you can eat these warm, or cool, chill, then carry somewhere.