Dorie Greenspan’s Cinnamon Swirl Bread Without Raisins

by on April 4, 2013 · 12 comments

Here’s a way to test your self control: Bake a batch of cinnamon swirl bread, let it cool for a few minutes and turn it from the pan.  Now try — just try to restrain yourself from slicing into it. I really thought I could, but after baking a loaf using Dorie Greenspan’s recipe I couldn’t stop myself from cutting into it.

Cinnamon Swirl Bread

This recipe is part of my new search to find the best cinnamon swirl bread. The kind I like is less like the Pepperidge Farm type and more like the sweet, cinnamon roll-ish kind they used to sell in our elementary school cafeteria for 10 cents a slice. Boy, I sound like an old lady reminiscing about school days, but I remember exactly how that bread looked, smelled and tasted and how its cinnamon aroma made the cafeteria less institutional and more homey. I guess public schools aren’t allowed to make delicious things like scratch cinnamon bread these days, so I’m glad I have that memory.

cinnamon swirl  bread

Anyhow, Dorie’s recipe was not quite what I was going for, but it was still excellent. It was less sweet than the old school cinnamon bread and perfect for toasting (unlike old school’s, which would probably leak buttery filling all over the toaster). Originally, this recipe was supposed to include raisins and I am kicking myself for leaving them out. However, I wanted Fuzz to help me eat this (and she will), so I had to. At least the swirls are nice!

I used the recipe from Dorie’s Book, Baking From My Home to Yours, but you can find it with a simple Google search. Susan from Food.Baby.Life baked it for the Tuesdays With Dorie Club, and posted the recipe on her blog.  She also took the best picture of toast that I ever have seen!  I’ll have to add a toast picture tomorrow.

My changes were to use bread flour instead of all-purpose, use Red Star yeast (because I just can’t kill that particular brand. Hooray!) and to fold it starting on the long side, turn it into a “U” shape, push the sides of the “U” together, and push it all in the loaf pan. That’s how I got that (almost) symmetrical pattern.

Published on April 4, 2013

Darlene April 4, 2013 at 7:21 pm

It looks like your bread has a wonderful texture!

Martha in KS April 4, 2013 at 7:32 pm

I am a certified yeast killer. Thanks for the tip about Red Star.

Beth April 5, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I recently made the cinnamon swirl bread from America’s Test Kitchen, and it sounds just like what you’re looking for. (I used the raisins, but I’m sure you could leave them out.) My family devoured it, and while I’m a pretty experienced baker, my son didn’t believe I’d made it because it looked like it came from a bakery. It’s a bit labor intensive, but the results were worth it for a special occasion (or just to satisfy a craving). I think the recipe is from the most recent season…I have the cookbook with the recipes from all seasons, but don’t they have their current season’s recipes on their website?

Karen April 5, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Oh boy, I was just looking at a cinnamon roll scones recipe and I have another quick bread cinnamon swirl bread recipe that I am debating about to make today, so maybe I will do yours instead. Yummy!

Anna April 5, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Darlene, I think the secret is to really knead it. Ever since I started using the dough hook on my stand mixer, I get great textured yeast bread.

Martha, I don’t know what it is about that brand but it always works. Or maybe I’ve just been lucky.

Beth, thanks for the tip! I am going to hunt down the recipe and give it a try. Fuzz is really enjoying Dorie Greenspan’s, though. We toasted it this morning and added a little butter and cinnamon sugar.

Karen, let me know which one you choose. Maybe you should use that other recipe so we can compare notes.

Susan April 5, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Thanks for the link! I was wondering why this recipe was spiking in my stats. Glad you enjoyed the bread, it is my all-time favourite :-)

Katrina April 5, 2013 at 8:07 pm

I looked back on my TWD baking and ended up making cinnamon rolls with this dough. I just knew the fam would eat rolls more than slices of bread. Looks great!

Anna April 5, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Thanks for posting, Susan! I’m now trying to make my toast photos as nice as yours.

Katrina, I can see how it would make great cinnamon rolls since the dough is so easy to work with. Plus rolls would give you a higher ration of cinnamon butter to bread. And then there’s the whole issue of icing…

Sue April 6, 2013 at 10:29 am

This looks so good! I’ve never found a recipe for cinnamon swirl bread that I love so I just make cinnamon rolls. Now that the kids are gone I don’t even make those!

Sue April 6, 2013 at 10:29 am

Stephanie April 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Ohhh! I’m EXCITED for the cinnamon bread recipes! I am a “raisin” girl only on certain days. Thanks for the review of Dorie’s recipe. I have been eyeing two recipes lately: one from The Bread Baker’s Apprentice and one from Fine Cooking Feb/Mar 2012. You have inspired me to get my butt in gear.

Stephanie April 6, 2013 at 7:22 pm

No sorry, I mean Cook’s Country’s version.