Double Chocolate White Chip Cookies are really good! They’re thin, tender, and chewy. The dough is basically a good transport system for the chips, so use a top shelf brand of both chocolate and white chips (or just stick with white chips).
These cookies are pretty thin and they tend to spread. If you want a slightly thicker cookie with a more rounded shape, scoop the dough onto a piece of foil, chill the scooped dough, then roll the chilled dough balls into perfect spheres before baking. For best results use a good brand of natural (as opposed to Dutch process) cocoa powder.
Double Chocolate White Chip Cookies
I like using a mixture of both white and dark chips.
- 2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature (280 grams)
- 2 cups granulated sugar (390 grams)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (270 grams)
- 3/4 cup natural style unsweetened cocoa powder**
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt change to 1/4 teaspoon if using salted butter
- 2 cups white chips or use a mixture of white and dark chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or regular foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with sugar at medium speed until creamy.
- Add eggs, beating at low speed until combined. Add vanilla.
- Thoroughly mix or sift the flour, unsweetened cocoa, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and stir until combined. Stir in chips.
- Drop tablespoon size mounds of dough onto baking sheets, spacing 2 1/2 inches apart.
- Bake one sheet at a time on center rack for 12 minutes or until cookies appear set. Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack.
For best results, use “natural” style cocoa as opposed to Dutch process. The acidity in the cocoa powder works with the neutral baking soda.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
hmm i can sympathise with the baking blah as I’ve had the cooking blah!
I’ve been wanting to try the Ghirardelli cocoa powder.Emilyhttp://madmommychronicles.typepad.com/biscuits_and_blues
“transport system” – heh. From counter to mouth or mouth to my ass? Looks good either way. 😉
Yeah, I need to blame it on something. At least I haven’t lost my enthusiasm towards wine. In fact, it’s increased 10-fold! Now what kind of road am I going down??? 😉
I’d blame it on the time of year! The cookies look great.