Pumpkin Crunch Dessert will make your house smell like fall. This is a great alternative for people who like the idea of pumpkin, but aren’t so crazy about pumpkin pie. I’ve updated the recipe over the years. Originally it called for an 18.25 oz of cake mix, but cake mix now comes in 15.25 oz boxes. I’ve also increased the pumpkin so the filling is more of a custard.
Pumpkin Crunch Dessert
- 1 29 oz can pumpkin (plain pumpkin, not pumpkin filling)
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar or use 1/2 granulated and 1/2 brown
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (or just use 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 box yellow cake mix 15.25 oz
- 6 ounces melted butter regular salted
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 9x13 pan or glass dish with cooking spray.
- Combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, salt and pumpkin pie spice in a large bowl. Pour into pan. Sprinkle cake mix evenly over the top. Pour butter over the cake mix, then sprinkle pecans all over the top. If you prefer you can mix the butter with the cake mix separately and then sprinkle it over.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely then cut into squares and serve with a scoop of ice cream.