Cakey Sweet Potato Bars are cake-type bar cookies made with canned sweet potatoes, chocolate chips and pecans. They’re a lot like pumpkin bars, but have a slightly different flavor from the sweet potatoes. They’re also a little sweeter and don’t need any sort of icing.
What Kind of Sweet Potatoes to Use
When I first made these, I used a brand of canned sweet potatoes called Sugary Sam’s and called them Sugary Sam Bars. I’ve changed the name to one that’s a little more descriptive. Plus you can certainly use any brand of canned sweet potatoes. The level of sweetness might vary a tiny bit between brands, but I doubt it would make much of a difference. Using fresh baked mashed sweet potatoes is a different story. They’ll probably work, but the bars will be less sweet. If you try them with fresh, let me know.
Cakey Sweet Potato Bars Pan Size
This recipe calls for a 9 inch square pan. If you make them in an 8 inch square pan they’ll be thicker and more like a coffee cake, which might not be so bad! If you want to use the full can of sweet potatoes, you can double the recipe and bake in a 15×10 inch pan.
Sweet Potato Quick Bread
If you’re thinking you’d rather use your cup of mashed potatoes in something else, I recommend this Sweet Potato Bread baked in a loaf pan.
Cakey Sweet Potato Bars
- 9 inch pan
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 of a 15.5 oz can about a cup of Sugar Sam’s Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour 4.5 oz
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini morsels
- 1/3 cup toasted chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch metal pan.
- Whisk oil, sugar and egg together in a medium bowl. Add sweet potatoes, vanilla and orange peel and whisk until thoroughly mixed. Stir in baking, salt and cinnamon, then when thoroughly mixed, add flour, chocolate chips and nuts. Stir just until flour is mixed in. Pour into pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack.