I’ve been working on a few baking projects today and the compost cookie was one of them. It was a failure, but something good came out of it and that was the idea to toss the pretzels and chips with a brown sugar butter mixture, bake them, and make “Pretzel Potato Chip Monsters”. The coating kept the pretzels & chips crisp and added more flavor to the cookies. And while I didn’t get the base for the cookie quite right, I had fun throwing the chips/pretzel mixture into another good dough – Monster dough, which is usually flourless and made with oatmeal, peanut butter, and lots of add-ins.
You can make the monsters without the pretzels and chips if you want, but if you do decide to make the pretzel chip mixture, you should have enough leftover to play with. And by play with, I mean add to your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe to make a compost tribute cookie. You could add the pretzel chip mixture to OCG’s cookies or perhaps try it in this old Neiman Marcus cookie which just happens to have espresso powder and which might result in something similar to the compost.
Pretzel Potato Chip Monsters
Pretzel-Potato Chip Mixture:
- 2 cups mini pretzels
- 1 cup thick potato chips – Kettle chips work well you could get away with thin
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick butter softened (unsalted) – 114 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar 275 grams
- 1 cup granulated sugar 190 grams
- 1 12- ounce jar creamy peanut butter 336 grams I used Central Market Natural
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 ml
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 ml
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 1/2 cups quick cooking oatmeal
- 1/2 cup M&M’s
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch metal pan or a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment.
- Chop the pretzels in halves and thirds with a chef’s knife. Don’t worry about chopping them too small – I left some of mine whole. Mix the pretzels and chips together in a bowl. If you’re using really big, thick chips, break them up a little. Melt the 4 T. butter in a small saucepan and when melted, add the brown sugar. Stir well and cook for a minute, then quickly pour over pretzel/chip mixture and toss to coat. Spread mixture on your lined cookie sheet and bake for 8 minutes. Let cool, then break up into pieces.
- Cream the butter and both sugars in a large bowl using an electric mixer. Beat in the peanut butter, vanilla, eggs, salt. Beat well and scrape sides of bowl. Stir in the baking soda, oats, M&Ms, chocolate chips and 1 big cup of pretzel mixture, break it up slightly if you want. Also, add more if you want.
- Scoop up quarter cups of dough and mold them into balls. Press lightly to make thick discs. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until they look done (edges will brown very slightly). Let stand on cookie sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.
- Not sure of yield.