Chocodiles aka Chocodile Bars are adapted from an old Pillsbury Bake-Off. They’re bar cookies with a firm peanut butter base and a chocolate crunch topping. The chocolate crunch topping is made with melted chocolate, peanut butter, and a cereal called Corn Soya which I’d never heard of and had to look up on Mr. Breakfast. It sounds kind of good, but I guess it wasn’t good enough because it no longer exists. Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes are good substitutes.
You can make the recipe as written or halve it and use a 9 inch square pan. I think an 11×7 inch pan would also work well for a half batch. The bars don’t have a ton of peanut butter flavor, so you may want to add some chopped peanuts to the batter or sprinkle peanuts on top.
A Food.com reader shared her Chocodile Bars recipe which is pretty much the same as the original and the one I made today. However, I made a little change and put marshmallow creme underneath the chocolate crunch.
Also, if you’ve ever eaten Corn Soya, I’d like to know about it. Specifically, what modern cereal would be most like it in texture and flavor? Corn Flakes? Thank you.
- Food Processor
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour (370 grams)
- 1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar (250 grams)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine (114 grams)
- 1/2 cup Crisco (96 grams)
- 6 tablespoons crunchy peanut butter (100 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups Corn Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour and sugar to mix. Cut up butter and add butter and shortening. Pulse until crumbly. Add peanut butter and pulse to mix, then add egg yolk and vanilla and pulse so that you have a crumbly dough.
- Press mixture firmly into ungreased 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch jellyroll pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool slightly.
- Make the Chocolate Crunch: Melt chocolate in top of double boiler over boiling water. Stir in crunchy peanut butter and cereal. Spread over bake peanut butter layer and let cool until set.
- Yield: 3 to 4 dozen cookies