Jalapeno Cranberry Bread — a Most Requested Recipe
If you’re looking for that perfect last minute quick bread — something to serve along with the meal or to set out with the leftovers, this Jalapeno Cranberry Bread is sure to be a conversation starter. Jalapeno jelly gives it a little heat, cumin adds some Tex Mex flair (though trust me, this is the ONLY quick bread recipe where I ever use cumin) and cranberries make it familiar. Plus, this one’s easy to bake. I got the recipe from my stepmother who likes to try things flavored with jalapeno.
Texas Jalapeno Cranberry Bread
An interesting (and good!) twist on cranberry bread. Very fun to serve at Thanksgiving.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour 18 oz
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup pecans chopped
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons mild salsa
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno jelly increase for more “heat”
- 4 oz regular butter melted
- 1 bag 12 ounces cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 large loaf pans or 6 small loaf pans.
- Mix dry ingredients, including nuts, in a large bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients and cranberries in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into the well and fold only until dry ingredients are moist. Mixture will be stiff. Do not over stir. Spread into pans and bake 70 minutes for large loaf pans or 30-35 minutes for small loaf pans. Reduce baking time 5-10 minutes for dark pans. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely before wrapping and freezing. Yield: 2 loaves.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
What a unique bread!
When I went to Jungle Jim’s in Cincinnati I purchased a jar of cranberry pepper jelly. I had no idea what I was going to do with it.
I will substitute the cranberry for the jalepeno. May even spice up the salsa.
Have a great Thanksgiving!
Oh, I tried this about 6 years ago when I first read it on the CL BB, I think. It was very good! It was kind of a funny baking experince as the ingredients seem so odd!
OMGoodness gracious ya’ll. I’m baking these loaves in my house the day before Thanksgiving and I can tell you… these are going to be mighty tasty!!!! I’ll drop a note as soon as my tribe arrives and does a taste test!
YUM! I love sweet and spicy things!
That sounds really interesting and yummy! Might try it this week. Thanks!
Mmm yum I love all the flavours in this spicy quick bread!
A beautiful looking bread-and perfect for the holidays!
What a crazy idea! This seems like something I would definitely want to try!