It may be Thanksgiving, but your sourdough starter never takes a holiday! Or maybe it does. I guess a holiday for sourdough starter would be a stay in the refrigerator, but for those who are actively feeding and discarding, here’s another way to use it — Sourdough Discard Biscotti.
The Cheddar and Jalapeno Sourdough Discard Biscotti is just one variation. You can change this recipe up and use other types of cheese, different peppers, maybe add cornmeal. And you can also make sweet biscotti. The sweet biscotti requires several changes, so I have put that variation (Sourdough Lemon Poppy Seed Biscotti) in a different post.
Anyhow, I thought I didn’t like savory biscotti, but it’s my new favorite thing. I’ll update when I try a chipotle, blue cheese and bacon version or maybe something with pepperoni…
Sourdough Discard Biscotti — Cheddar and Jalapeno
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour 175 grams
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch turmeric optional for color
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 56 grams
- 2 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapeno La Costena
- 2-3 tablespoons dried cranberries chopped
- ½ cup sourdough starter discard (120 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons butter melted (42 grams)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. For a slightly more yellow color, add a pinch of turmeric. Stir in the cheese, cranberries and jalapenos.
- In a second bowl, whisk together sourdough, egg and melted butter. Stir sourdough mixture into the cheese mixture.
- Knead together until you have a firm dough. Divide dough in half and shape into two logs about 6 inches long by 2 ½ inches wide. Do this directly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 22 to 25 minutes, then remove from oven and allow the biscotti to cool for about 5 minutes or just until it is cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, reduce oven heat to 300 degress.
- Cut each log crosswise to make ¾ inch thick slices.
- Stand the slices on the baking sheet (or lay them, if you’d prefer) and bake at 300 degrees for about 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.