Yesterday I made a batch of black bottom cupcakes and red velvet cupcakes before it occurred to me that I could have just made these red velvet cheesecake cups. I’d forgotten about this recipe so I’m bumping it up for Valentine’s Day.
Red Velvet Cheesecake Cups
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Cups
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lightly beaten egg break egg, mix with fork, measure
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoon all purpose flour 5 oz
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 3/4 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 8 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Prepare filling first. With a mixing spoon, beat together softened cream cheese and sugar. Add egg and vanilla and stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second mixing bowl, stir together oil, sugar, vinegar, egg, red food coloring, vanilla and sour cream. Mix very well, then add flour mixture and stir just until blended.
- Measure out approximately 1/3 cup red mixture and set aside. Divide remaining red mixture among the 8 muffin cups – each cup should be a little over 1/3 of the way full. Spoon cream cheese mixture over red mixture, dividing evenly between all cups. Drop small spoonfuls of reserved red batter on top of cream cheese mixture, making a bulls-eye pattern.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack. Carefully remove lift muffins from cups.
- Best serve slightly chilled