If you’re not quite ready to give up summery ice cream desserts but are heartily welcoming fall flavors, here’s a pumpkin ice cream pie to help you make the transition.
I made the pie late this afternoon and served it for dessert this evening. We loved it! It’s a basic graham cracker crust filled with a pumpkin pie flavored ice cream topped with sweetened whipped cream and caramel sauce. I don’t have much to say about it other than it’s a good last minute pie, but it also happens to be a great make ahead pie. Just freeze it, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap, and pull it out when you have company (or when you’re just hungry for pumpkin ice cream pie).
Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs from 1 sleeve
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 4 cups good quality vanilla ice cream**
- 2/3 cup pumpkin not pie filling
- 3 1/2 tablespoons tightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups sweetened whipped cream or whipped topping
- Caramel sundae sauce for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor, process graham crackers to make 1 1/2 cups. Add sugar, salt and melted butter and pulse until mixed. Press into bottom and up sides of a 9 inch glass pie dish. Set on a cookie sheet and bake for 7 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To make the filling, allow the ice cream to soften at room temperature. While it's softening, combine the pumpkin, brown sugar and spices in a small saucepan. Heat over medium just until mixture gets very hot (the point is to dissolve the brown sugar somewhat). Let cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, stir together the softened ice cream and the pumpkin mixture. Transfer to the cooled graham crust and put in the freezer for 3 hours or until solid. Spread sweetened whipped cream over top and return to freezer for another hour or long enough to freeze the whipped cream.
- Before serving, allow pie to sit at room temperature for about 10 to 15 minutes to soften. I like to set it on a dishtowel soaked with hot water to help loosen the crust from the pie dish. While pie sits, drizzle with caramel sauce.