Whole Wheat Apple Pecan Bread is an apple quick bread that calls for a mixture of all-purpose and whole wheat flour. It’s easy to put together, and because the apples are grated rather than chopped, they dissolve into the bread without leaving big chunks of cooked fruit. In my opinion the bread is very tasty, though not too rich. It doesn’t seem overly indulgent for breakfast, though it is satisfyingly sweet!
Whole Wheat Apple Pecan Bread is designed for two small 8×4 inch loaf pans. Mine are from Baker’s Secret and come as a set of two. They are pretty cheap, but so far so good. All my little loaves have baked up quite nicely. If you use larger pans (8 1/2 by 4 1/2), the loaves will be a bit stubbier, but probably good. I suppose you could also make this loaf as one large 9 1/2 by 5 1/2 inch loaf and increase the bake time by about 15 minutes.
We really enjoyed this apple bread, but if you are looking for a sweeter one or want two larger size loaves, I recommend Apple Cider Bread. Also, the Apple Cider Bread only calls for all-purpose flour, so it’s a better bet if you don’t have whole wheat flour on hand.
Whole Wheat Apple Pecan Bread
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups 6.8 oz all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 5 oz whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon EACH salt baking soda and baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1 cup toasted and chopped pecans
- 2 cups grated and peeled apple or two large apples — I used Jonagold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two small (8×4 inch) loaf pans.
- In a mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, thoroughly mix together the dry ingredients (flour through nutmeg). Add the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to the sugar mixture.
- Stir in the pecans and apples.
- Divide batter between the two pans and bake for about 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes, then carefully remove from pan.